Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: RAW trouble
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:31 pm 
So everyone keeps saying "shoot raw", so i decided to give it a try with some test images and i ran into some trouble: 1 my computer couldn't read the file just by conecting my camera like it does with jpgs, so after some work i got the files to open with "olympus master 2" software.
2nd problem was that once i did get it open with that it put this horrible grain over the images. They show up perfect and then it starts getting covered with this grain. 3rd and biggest problem was how much of a pain in the behind this raw process was.
Can anyone give me some tips on a faster easier way to RAW? What am I doing wrong? Is there a relatively cheap and good program, that will automatically recognize the camera and files, i could buy? I shoot 100s of pics at a time, windows xp user and relatively new to photography. Any help and criticism is GREATLY appreciated. THNX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:08 pm 

I use the E-510 and primarily shoot raw + jpg. That mode uses lots of memory i.e. a 1 gb card will hold 41 images.
I find the .jpg images helpful when processing the raw images. I get better images with the raw than using the in-camera .jpg conversion.
I believe that all Olympus raw converters (studio and master) use the same algorithm as the camera to convert raw to .jpg. Currently I am using Raw Therepee which is freeware. Raw Therepee provides adjustment of all the typical parameters, exposure, tone curve, white bal, sharpening, brightness, contrast, cropping etc. I typically convert to .tif format which is lossless and adjust the .tif version using Paintshop Pro version 10. I have been very pleased with the results. Other users report good results using Adobe Camera Raw but that is an expensive option. There are numerous raw development tools available but be sure the one you select is compatible with the Olympus file format (.ORF files).

the link to download Raw Therepee is here:
http://www.rawtherapee.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:25 pm 

Hi hipporage,

May I offer you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

I have no recent experience with Olympus cameras (my last was an OM-2 film camera) so I can't offer any advice other than to say it is worth persisting with RAW, whatever the camera. With RAW you are working with the original data from the sensor while with JPEG a number of irreversible decisions have already been made which can limit your choices when post-processing those really special shots.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:59 pm 
Ok .. i have a secondary issue with this....

I cant find out how to make my E-510 shoot in RAW .. and my manual appears to be up at our cottage or in Niagara Falls (lost)....

Anyone :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:06 pm 

Easy: just download the manual here: http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/E-5 ... nglish.pdf
Look at pages 52/53 :idea: :!: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:54 pm 
Well thanks Japhy and Bob Andersson, I will try that raw + jpg. But About this blurring texture on my raw pics. It won't go away. Its not noise, i shot at a low ISO. any thought about wht it might be?

I just tried the Raw+SHQ and plugged it to my computer. the jpg images uploaded like usual and they are perfectly ok, when viewed through my normal thing. Then when i went to the olympus master and opened the files, it shows both raw and jpg and BOTH have that stupid texture.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/Banaxter/room.jpg

its more dramatic here in person. this is a jpg made from a raw image.

also i will try your freeware Japhy. maybe its just the olympus software that is mutilating my pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:56 pm 

Hmmm, hipporage. Can't see the "stupid texture" in your image :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:28 pm 
Thomas wrote:
Hmmm, hipporage. Can't see the "stupid texture" in your image :(

me either.. maybe its the monitor?

Post subject: Clousure
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:45 pm 
So turns out its only the olympus software that does this. "texture" i will continue this new raw & jpg thing. Thank you to every1 that responded and helped me out. As a bonus i guess TheHawk1973 knows how to shoot raw on his 510 now & has a new manual. YAY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:53 pm 
:wink:

Thanx gain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:03 am 

hipporage..

Maybe? I can see a little of what looks to be high iso noise in the room shot.
I wonder where you have the noise filter set and at what ISO this was taken. With my E510 I can see some grainy noise when over ISO 800 with the noise filter off.
Other settings that may help when shooting raw ..
sharpen = -2 (lowest setting)
contrast = -2 (lowest setting)
noise filter = off when less than ISO 800 .. well try some experiments but the detail is better with noise filter off to my eye

I find when shooting outside here in Arizona with the intense sun that there seems to be a tendency to overexpose the blue channel. I now usually use a polarizing filter during mid day when the sun is high.

Then in the raw development ..i.e. Olympus master or Raw Therapee you can adjust the contrast, and sharpen as a last step before converting to .tif or .jpg and get better results. There are other products that I have not personally used .. lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw / Photoshop, Silkyprints.. and more.

there is a very good overview of how to get the E510 setup here:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e510-fs.html

and some related links you may find helpful:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e51 ... tml#CUSTOM
http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/photo/Dig_OlyE510_1.htm

the latter link also has some very interesting tests and comparisons of the E510 kit lenses vs a few of the top end name brand optics .. if you own an E510 you will no doubt be re-assured of the great value after reading these articles.

and .. both of these links have nothing but praise for Gordon's review and both provide links to the Cameralabs video and review of the E510.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:53 am 
yeah thanks ill check those links out. I own a 410 and im pretty happy with it, i wish it had the IS but i got a good tripod. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:18 am 
wow those links really throw you down a "rabbit hole" of info. very enlightening though. this raw thing is useful but kind of a big pain in the ass. its more like insurance than anything from what i gathered. But if people that know more than me tell me to do something maybe i should listen, huh? I need to pony up for a bigger card so i can shoot or "save" in both Raw and jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:58 am 

Quote:
I need to pony up for a bigger card so i can shoot or "save" in both Raw and jpg

Excellent idea. And the "insurance" aspect is also quite right!!
You have a peace of mind that no matter what went wrong with whitebalance you can correct, that larger exposure errors than with pure jpeg images can be corrected and normally you can even get sharper images from the s/w than from in camera processing. So you lose nothing (well a "little" space on your card) and gain much from shooting RAW