Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:42 pm 
I own three standard grade zuiko lenses(14-42, 40-150 and the 70-300) and I would like to complete my collection with a macro lens. I was seriously considering the zuiko 50mm lens untill I came across a couple of reviews on the net claiming that this lens was not truly a macro lens but rather a versatile 50mm lens with excellent macro-like capabilities.
According to the Olympus websites it only has a 1:2 magnification capacity unlike it's 35mm macro equivalent which has a 1:1 magnification rating.
With the 2 times field of view could this really be a 1:1 macro lens or is Olympus cheating? great marketing..? Your opinions are valued, thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:51 am 
Site Admin

Hi lone_samurai, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

I can't answer all yor questions myself, but I can tell you I've used the 50mm macro before and found it to be an excellent lens.

At its closest focusing distance, I captured an area measuring approx 34x26mm. Since the sensor measures 17.3x13mm, I'd say that makes it a 1:2 ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:06 pm 
Hi Gordon, thanks for the reply.
I've been watching the forums for a while but now I'll mix it up a little.
From what your telling me it seems to be an impressive lens and I don't think I've read a single bad review on this lens either, however the point that a particular reviewer on some website titled 'photodo.com' was making is that in principle if a macro lens isn't a 1:1 lens than it doesn't pass the basic prerequisite that qualifies it to be a true macro lens.
Heres the link for anyone who's interested in reading- http://www.photodo.com/topic_135.html
I guess that is the question, Is any lens possessing a ratio other than 1:1
a true macro lens and why?
Judging by photo samples I've seen of what this zuiko 50mm f2 lens can do I'm impressed but I'm left wondering if the zuiko 35mm f3.5 lens despite being slower and off lesser quality does actually possess better macro capabilities.
Anyones ideas appreciated, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:04 pm 

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. Personally, and please bear in mind that this personal prejudice isn't even based on owning a macro lens, I'm very suspicious of a lens claiming "macro" with a magnification around 0.25x or less and only truly happy when I see a 1x magnification or better. In the end I suppose it's all academic as long as you can fill the frame with your intended subject matter. :idea: That's why I don't need a macro lens. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:29 pm 
The Zuiko 35 achieves its 1:1 magnification at a focus distance of 146mm from the focal plane while the Zuiko 50 reaches 1:2 at 240mm. The 35mm will undoubtedly get you a higher magnification but if you're planning to take photos of insects, they may not let you get close enough for 1:1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

It's an interesting question and there's no strict definition (that I'm aware of) for when something becomes a true macro lens - although I have heard many people use the 1:1 or better as a defining point. So if you agree with this, then the Olympus 50mm isn't a true macro lens.

BUT it is great for close-ups, which in my book, makes it a macro lens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:57 pm 
Looking at the four-thirds.org website Olympus claims the 70-300mm lens has a Maximum image magnification = 0.5x (1.0x:35mm equivalent), about the same as the 50mm macro lens.
:? :? :? :? There quote "Furthermore, 1x magnification (35mm equivalent) tele-macro photography is capable. Thanks to Four-Thirds system, the lens offers a lot of the footwork out of both super-telephoto and macro photography world".
Leaves me wondering why I would want to purchase the 50mm f2 when Olympus claims a super telephoto lens, the 70-300 at least on paper can produce similar results in macro photography but perhaps not as good when considering speed and aperture of the f2 50mm.
The 70-300mm has the convenience of taking macro shots from a distance.
A lot of conjecture on my behalf I think I might attach my 70-300mm lens to my e-510 in the next few days and experiment.
What I'd really like to see is Gordon Laing doing a video on macro photography on the new 'dslr-tips.com' website :?: :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

I'll look into doing one, but it would mostly be of me pointing a camera close to flowers and stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:33 am 
look forward to it