Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue May 26, 2015 2:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: OMD-EM5 Hi Res
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:24 am 

I just read about Olympus new “high definition” shot to be available on the OMD EM-5. The description indicates that multiple exposures taken and aligned using the stabilization mechanism to produce a 40mp image.

This could be very cool for us large print format fans ..sorta like a view camera or a medium format that is just a bit larger than pocket size.

Any comments or more info?

--Japhy

Post subject: Re: OMD-EM5 Hi Res
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:17 am 

Assuming you only shoot still lifes with a tripod, it should be pretty neat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:17 am 

If the sensor had a native 40 MP then diffraction softening would start kicking in at f/4.6. Given the way 40 MP is derived from a sequence of 16 MP images, and not forgetting that there's no free lunch when it comes to the limitations physics imposes, I think it's a fair assumption that to get to 40 MP would require a top quality lens. None of the reviews I'm aware of have tested the theoretical resolving power of m4/3rds lenses. I suspect, but don't know, that the PRO lenses would be good enough but maybe the cheaper kit lenses wouldn't? Hopefully this is something that will get addressed in the review.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:03 pm 

I need your help very much. I just restarted itself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:50 pm 

As I understand the operation of the hi res function, the stabilization system shifts the sensor slightly for each exposure then all exposures are stitched back together into 1 raw or jpeg. The shift is necessary to interleave the exposed pixels in the final result.

Gordon now has very good hands on article on Camera Labs main pages. Thanks Gordon! looking forward to the full review.

This looked appealing as I and probably many others like large format prints. Often anything larger than 16x20 (in) is a stretch. I agree with the earlier comment about a sharp lens, Olympus and other u4/3 manufactures have several that would fit the bill. Most of the primes and the Olympus 12-40 2.8 are going to be sufficiently sharp. Additionally the shorter back focus distance in a mirrorless configuration provides much better wide angle performance than the SLR configuration.

I shot Fuji Velvia 50 asa and Kodachrome 64 for years back in the film days. The longer exposure time is not going to be much of an issue for me and the hi res feature is not always used, just a very cool feature that will make it possible to get very large very detailed prints..

one more news item:
the OMD-EM5 (original) is now on sale for the same price or less the OMD-EM10