Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC

Should I buy it?
Yes, definitely! 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Maybe, it's worth thinking about. 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
No, you're good. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:47 pm 

Hi there,

I own a Nikon D5000 with 4 lenses:

- 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G (lens kit)
- 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
- 50mm f/1.8 D
- 35mm f/1.8 G DX

This is what I've been doing with it.

So far this gear has never let me down and it covers most photography needs (apart from macro and wide angle shots).

Lately I've been witnessing the rise of mirrorless cameras due to it's lightness and performance, almost on par with most DSLR's and from what I searched the Fuji X-Pro1 is my favourite.

The thing here is... I know a gentleman of trust that wants to sell his Olympus OM-D E-M5 with a 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 lens for 600€! I've searched online and it seems to be twice as expensive new!

I know the camera is in mint condition and I honestly believe he didn't shoot more than a thousand pictures.

The reason for him to sell it? He wants the new Olympus flagship, the OM-D E-M1.

So in a nutshell... I'm happy with my current gear but this deal seems to good to pass by. I can always sell it later and even make a profit right?!

I would love to hear your opinions. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:28 pm 

Hi "TheBig1",

Welcome to the forum. This is a difficult one as I'm skating perilously close to the forum rules (no advertising) in mentioning this but my own E-M5 has been listed for sale in "As New" condition (I've spent much more time with my astro-imaging kit this year) with a major UK e-tailer and even at £599 it hasn't shifted. After sales commission I'd actually probably net not far off the €600 you mention so my advice would be to take up that gentleman's offer while it's still available. If he's anything like me he won't reduce the price further as at any less it's worth keeping the E-M5 as a second body.

To your point about why is it so cheap: well, it's disappointing but it seems as though Olympus cameras (and maybe 4/3rds cameras in general) don't retain their value so well as Canon or Nikon. The same e-tailer I'm listed with has several examples of the same E-M5 plus kit lens in the same condition but all for quite a lot more money and I'm tempted to believe that those sellers will have to learn the same painful lesson I've learnt over the last months and either drop their price as I have done or withdraw the cameras from sale. :(

I successfully sold all my Canon gear a while back at prices closer, in percentage terms, to the new prices current at that time. Of course that failure to hold value wouldn't be a factor in your case as you wouldn't be paying anything like the new price! Why the E-M5 hasn't held its value so well is a bit of a mystery to me as it's still a stonkingly good camera so grab yourself a copy from your friend if you think the E-M5 is for you. I was lucky enough to bag an E-M1 plus the 12-40mm "kit" lens at a very deep 33% discount (a price we might not see again until towards the end of the product life - I was in the right place at the right time and very lucky) so my total outlay will be about the same as your friend is contemplating and I consider that money well spent, something you might like to pass along in case he's in any doubt. 8)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Bob.

P.S. I haven't voted because "Definitely" buy would only apply if you can return the camera if it isn't as advertised. If you do have that option then then that's how I would have voted.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:17 pm 

Thank you for your advice.

I'm still on the fence because buying a new camera is like starting from scratch lens wise. I would have to buy a new set of lenses to have the offer my actual Nikon gear offers me.

Unless... I would love the E-M5 so much I'd sell all my Nikon gear!

To be perfectly honest what I value the most in a camera is image quality and considering DxOMark scores, Nikon D5000 and Olympus OM-D E-M5 have really similar scores with a slight edge to the D5000. But on the other hand, going mirrorless with a cheap "sexy" E-M5 is really tempting.

If I'd buy the gentleman's camera I don't think there would be any problem to return it in case of any fault.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:30 am 

For me it was all about downsizing from a Canon 5D Mk2 and a selection of very good, but also pretty large, Canon "L" lenses. I financed my move to m4/3rds entirely from the sale of the Canon kit and now I carry my camera plus wide angle and standard zooms everywhere I go, something I didn't do before because of size and weight. The E-M5 came out at the right time for me but I still wouldn't have made the switch if it weren't for the lenses available for m4/3rds.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.