Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jim, welcome to the forums, and I'm glad you're finding my reviews useful!

As for the EM1 and 12-40mm, all I can tell you is Olympus told us they were final production and reviewable. I do know the 12-40s only arrived just in time for their event, so may have been early samples, but again we were told they were evaluable as final.

I hope to get another EM1 in again soon so should have a chance to reshoot, but I wouldn't expect even a premium zoom, especially a bright one, to come close to the primes we have.

Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:01 am 

Gordon,

You site is one of my main sources for info on new cameras. I am looking to upgrade an older Nikon DX sensor DSLR and the micro 4/3 cameras interest me from a size & weight perspective. I do a lot of wildlife shooting with a 70-300 zoom on a tripod but also like to shoot airshows when I can get to them.

What is your opinion of how the continuous autofocus capabilities of the OMD EM1 with the 100-300 zoom when compared to the Canon T2i you used as an example in your Air Show photography tips article a couple of years ago? My other option would be to upgrade to a D7100 and shoot a 70-300 in the 1.3 crop mode when I need more reach.

Thanks,

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:14 pm 

Hi Gordon,

I've recently discovered your site via TWIP - so a tip-of-the-hat to Frederick Van Johnson.

A nice shiny new EM-1 is now in my possession and I'm working my way around learning the camera. It's all very good so far. But there's a disturbing thread running over on another forum and I was hoping you might be in a position to bring some rigorous testing to what these folks are seeing. As I've kept my EM-5 I'll contribute as soon as the EM-1 RRS tripod plate arrives.

The trouble they're seeing is in long (sometimes very long) exposures. The core is currently summed up in this quote: " I called them up to have an explanation and all the support guy would say is that the E-M1 is noisier than the E-M5 due to compatibility with the FT lenses (i.e. the PDAF-sites on the sensor) OR the omission of anti aliasing filter. They didn't have a clear answer as to which one of those new "features" to blame, really."

A very helpful poster in that thread made some jpg's available for download and the EM-1 results look truly horrendous vs the EM-5.

Take a look here at the post by cablefreak: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=53621&page=5

Thanks for all your work and looking forward to your input!

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:58 pm 

Hi folks,

My E-M1 arrived very early on Friday, a knock on the door by the postman waking me up! Unpacked it, strapped on the included 12-40mm f/2.8 lens, popped in a memory card, a fully charged battery (same battery as used with the E-M5) and attached my CameraLabs strap. No time to read the manual as the dogs needed their constitutional. Here's the second shot of the day - clickable for a full resolution version at 3456x4608 pixels and 7.6MB.:

Nothing special in terms of composition but leafless trees are nature's test card and the new kit passes that test with ease. The RAW image was minimally processed in Adobe Camera Raw and then "Saved for the Web" from PhotoShop. 1/1600 sec; f/3.5; ISO 200; 17mm (34mm FF equivalent FoV).

For me the purchase was always about the lens and if I hadn't been lucky enough to secure a spectacularly good deal (1/3rd off) on the E-M1 plus 12-40mm "kit" lens, a deal I might explain which had nothing to do with my presence here on the forum, I would probably have stuck with my E-M5 and waited until the lens was more generally available and, hopefully, discounted. That said I am so glad I got the E-M1. Size wise it's not much different to the E-M5 plus grip but the feel of the camera in-hand and the ergonomics are definitely a step up and the E-M5 wasn't at all bad! Gordon has covered the differences in his review (here) and I'm still at the bottom of the learning and customisation curve so there's no point in my rehashing his work. The E-M1 plus 12-40mm f/2.8 feels very nicely balanced in the hand but, of course, isn't pocket-able. But with my Lumix 14-42mm attached (see my Signature below) the E-M1 is as pocket-able as the E-M5 plus grip was and, using a soft lens pouch rather than the one supplied by Olympus, the 12-40mm isn't that large either.

So if I want a pocket-able set-up I use the 14-42mm as a body cap for the E-M1, a "body cap" which can also be used for quick shots, and that combo goes in a soft pouch and into one pocket. The 12-40mm f/2.8 and my Lumix 7-14mm f/4, in their own soft pouches, both comfortably fit in another pocket and I'm all set. And, for me, that's the whole point of going mirrorless. I have all the options covered from 14 to 80mm equivalent field of view with top quality glass and a sensor which more than meets my daily needs and the whole lot fits in a couple of largish pockets for those days when I don't want a camera hanging around my neck.

The only niggles so far are a paper manual easily thick enough to include the full user manual but which actually contains quick reference manuals in more languages than I care to count (quite pointless IMHO) and a Wi-Fi implementation which is quite useless to me as a BlackBerry owner (don't laugh) as Olympus do not provide the necessary firmware/software to allow me to wirelessly transfer images from the camera to my computer. Oh, and I need to buy yet another polarising filter! :lol:

Bottom line is that if anyone is in the least tempted by the E-M1 and/or the 12-40mm f/2.8 then take whatever steps you need to to get your hands on the kit for a try out. My guess is that after doing so the only remaining hurdle might be the price. :(

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:11 am 

I am currently in the process of buying an E-M1 (and 7-14, 17, and 45) and selling off my Nikon gear (D7100 and several lenses). I love photography and it has helped me a lot but the only thing that kept me from full frame was that I needed something small and light for my bad back/hands. Turns out I was going the wrong way and actually decided on a NEX for the APS-C sized sensor and small/light package. Then I held an OMD and did some research. Case closed.

I'm an injured vet and photography has been such a light, and really a therapeutic way to stop assessing for threats and start looking for beauty to preserve and share :)

I admit I do wish the E-M1 size could have been kept a wee bit closer to its cousin the E-M5 but at the end of the day there are too many new goodies, especially that viewfinder, to pass up :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:21 am 

Hi folks,

Firmware v 1.1 for the E-M1 is now available via Olympus Viewer 3. Headline features are:

• Compensation for chromatic aberration is supported when using the E-M1 and Panasonic’s LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./POWER O.I.S. (H-FS14140) together.
  • Stabilization of shooting in the Sports mode and Children mode of the SCN mode or C-AF has been improved.
  • Live bulb image quality while noise reduction is on has been improved.
  • Improved AF operation.

The update went smoothly enough although I am less than impressed by the lack of feedback during the process. Judging by my router activity most of the time was spent downloading the firmware from the Net with less than a minute spent actually flashing the firmware to the camera. It would make much more sense for Olympus Viewer 3 to download the software with a progress bar and only when the software was ready to be flashed warning that the camera should not be disconnected. To be fair it appears that only during that last critical phase does the LCD on the back of the camera bring up its own warning that the camera must not be disconnected but I think Olympus could make the user interface a good deal better as, for example, there's no obvious way to know how fast that initial download from the Net is going. I'm lucky but not everybody has a rock solid and/or fast connection to the web.

Bob.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:09 pm 

Hi Gordon,

would it be possible for you to have a closer look at long (30 Seconds and longer) exposures ?
There are several postings (like http://www . mu-43 . com/showthread . php?t=53621)
(I'll hope it's okay to post a linke here) that the new Sensor in the EM-1 shows a lot more Noise then the EM-5 Sensor when the NR (Black Frame reduction) is switched off. For me, this would be a serious issue, and would change my decission bying one of those EM-1's.

And its NOT affected by the firmware fix
* Live bulb image quality while noise reduction is on has been improved.
Because its only differen when Noise Reduction is turned off.

Regards and merrry Christmas @*

Jörg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:06 pm 

Hi folks,

Olympus sent me a Christmas present today in the shape of an HLD-7 Power Battery Holder for my E-M1. This free offer was part of their promotional deal for early adopters of the E-M1 and I almost feel guilty about taking advantage of it given the good luck I had with the price I paid for my E-M1 plus the 12-40mm f/2.8 lens. Not an accessory I'll use too often as it does add to the bulk of the camera but it's well made, feels comfortable in the hand and I'm sure there will be occasions when I'd regret not having it.

Bob.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:25 am 

That HLD-7 certainly looks like a solid piece of engineering! :)

The last week of November, I had the opportunity to handle the Nikon Df, the Sony A7, and the OM-D EM-1, and must say that the Olympus option is the most appealing, by far, from the ergonomic/tactile point of view. With its weather-resistance, the EM-1, with one of the new 12-40mm zooms, and perhaps a decent macro lens, could do just about everything I would need, at work and during my personal time.

An OM-D EM-1 is high on my list of "nice to have" things for the 2014-to-2016 time period. I can foresee a pair of his-and-hers OM-D bodies being our travel cameras during retirement. My wife is a fan of Olympus, from the film days, though she is required to provide her employer with Nikon image files. I bought her the D700 she uses now, and her next big-ticket gift is likely to be an EM-1.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I have been doing lots of long exposure tests with the EM1 for my upcoming review, but none so far directly against the EM5. I'll try and rectify that for the final review so we can compare the difference between them in this regard.

Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:03 am 

There's some brewing issues surround the durability of the new 12-40mm lens:

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=57700

To save you wading through pages of posts, approximately 3 users have reported the lens mount detaching with very little force. 2 of them pulled the camera out of the bag and the mount had managed to fall of by itself. Sounds unbelievable, but the issue seems to surround the weak plastic screws which bolt the metal mount onto the lens. This is the "PRO" lens.

I really hope this doesn't become Olympus' "D600 moment" (The Nikon D600 was notorious for QC issues - specifically getting oil on the sensor). Partly because I have fond memories of Olympus gear, but also because I've penciled-in an E-M1 & 12-40mm purchase for when I go to Korea next month :|

Anyway, I'll be watching this issue...

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:23 am 

Hi folks,

Michael Reichmann has voted the E-M1 as his "Best New Camera of 2013". Gordon's own review is the place to go for an in-depth analysis but Reichmann's article (here) provides an executive summary of what makes the E-M1 so good. It also has some very interesting suggestions for setting up the various function buttons, something I intend to try out on my own copy.

Bob.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:46 pm 

Bob,

I noticed you have both the EM5 & EM1. I assume you upgraded for some reason. I have the Panasonic G3 and I'm looking for something with IBIS and preferably weather resistant for my favourite genre of street/doc photography.

Aside from the slight across-the-board spec improvements, what less tangible qualities of the EM1 lead you to upgrade?

I'm going to buy one next month and the EM5/1 is $950/$2000 with their respective kit lenses (12-50/12-40) from my chosen store, which is a good price (but not as good as yours :wink: ) but is the EM1/12-40 worth twice the price of the EM5/12-50?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:54 pm 

Hi kimchi,

I had the E-M5 plus its 12-50mm kit lens up for sale for a number of months after I had pre-ordered and then received my E-M1 plus 12-40mm lens but it never got sold, even at £600 in "As New" condition and with my 100% seller record. I have previously sold my Canon 40D and 5D2 cameras at less of a discount compared to the current "New" price despite both those cameras only being advertised in "Very Good" condition so, on a sample of one, it seems that Olympus kit is less easy to sell than Canon. :(

The expectation of a sale of the E-M5 and the price I secured my E-M1 at made the decision to upgrade to the E-M1 seem like a no-brainer at the time, with the sums having me getting essentially a free body upgrade as I would have bought the 12-40mm f/2.8 separately for the E-M5 if I hadn't bought the E-M1 (hope that makes sense). But as things worked out I'm happy enough with the E-M1 as my main camera with the E-M5 as a second body. The E-M1 is superior to the E-M5 in all the ways that Gordon detailed in his review but the E-M5 is still one heck of a good camera. You've got to pixel peep to an extreme degree to spot the improvement in IQ of the E-M1 but the ergonomics of that camera are spot on and I can also see a benefit in AF speed when I'm using my 14-150mm 4/3rds "Leica" superzoom.

I guess I would have been happy enough just buying a copy of the 12-40mm f/2.8 lens for my E-M5, a path I would have followed if I hadn't found that bargain E-M1 price, but having used the E-M1 I've been totally seduced. A very personal reaction and not one, I'm sure, that everyone would share. I'm also happy to go on record as saying that the E-M1 is likely to be my last camera body purchase for many years. It does everything I want it to do as well or better than I need (I'm not into video) and feels totally right in my hands - the perfect blend of ergonomics and portability. 8)

Is the price difference you quote between the E-M5 and E-M1 cameras with their respective kit lenses worth it? I can't really answer that - the lens is certainly worth the price on the tin if you want a zoom that is razor sharp compared to most alternatives. Mr. Spock would probably advise going for the E-M5 but Captain Kirk might beg to differ! :twisted:

Bob.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:51 am 

Thanks for the detailed response Bob. My first DSLR was an Olympus E520, which felt like a tool unlike the Canon/Nikon equivalents at the time, which felt like plastic toys. My Panasonic G3 is similarly plastic, but I bought it before the EM5 was released.

Olympus' products (like Pentax) just seem to have a quality feel for them and handle well.