Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:26 pm 
I had an e520 and a 12-60 for two years. And I loved it! And then for some dumb reason, I sold it and bought a Panasonic G2. I was lured away by the thoughts of a very light weight system.

The G2 never felt great in my hand. It didn't have that solid, quality feel. Now I'm selling that (its on ebay btw) and contemplating my return to the Olympus fold.

Do I buy an epl2 or an ep2? One can get a refurbished ep2 for the same price as a new epl2 so the cost isn't really the issue.

Will I really miss having a flash on the ep2? How good is the flash anyways on the epl2? For serious indoor shooting, I know I'd want an external flash anyways....

Also I love the look of the 14-150 olympus lens. But that system: a ep2, 14-150 and an external flash (metz 44) runs about $1400 bucks. Is it worth it?

Now what about this ep3? If I go for the ep2, will I be disappointed a few months from now? Should I just get a compact to satisfy my needs before the release?

Thanks olympus forum. I've missed you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:42 pm 

The flash is rated for 6 feet iirc, which is much weaker than your E520. Only you can decide whether you'd miss it or not based on your fotog style.

I'm waiting for a mirrorless system to replace my faithful E520 myself. The lenses available for m.43 suit me and the GH2 looks to be the best of the bunch, but yes it's plasticy. I'm personally waiting for in-body IS with a decent EVF. I actually like the rangefinder bodies too.

All manufacturers (bar Canon) will prpbably have an EVIL system out before the summer and there will probably be m.43 body refreshes also. You can spend you life waiting for the next model and pay top $ or you can just get what you need now, stop worrying, and go and take some photos.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject: Yeah Yeah
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:58 pm 
I know, people always say buy a camera now and take pictures now! And I agree generally. But these toys are expensive! I was just wondering if anyone owns a EPL2 and an EP2 and can speak to the relative merits??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:43 am 
Site Admin

I got hold of an EP2 as a reference EVIL camera and still use it regularly. For general use I thought I'd miss not having a flash, but actually I love using it under natural light with a bright prime like the 17mm f2.8 or 20mm f1.7 pancakes. This is mostly for candid portrait work.

I personally rarely use the flat control wheel though, so one of the 'pros' of the EP2 is redundant for me. I'd be looking for a good price on one these days though...

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:37 am 
Hey Gordon,

I read your review and it really helped. Also, thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to get the ep2 with the 17mm and then also buy the 14-150. That will be a pretty solid kit I think!

Do you have any thoughts on flashes for this system? I think I'm going to get a metz flash, either the 24, 36, or 44. I need that flash for taking pictures of my son at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dave, I can't advise on flashes. I just use the bright prime lenses with available light, and the results can be pretty good - and most of them are for young kids in a variety of lighting situations.

You should also consider the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 as it's brighter and a bit longer than the 17mm, which is more flattering for portraits. Note for head and shoulder portraits at 17 or 20mm, you will need to get quite close to your subject, so if they don't like you being in their face, you may be better off with one of the longer primes. I think there's a Panasonic 45mm.

Ultimately, I personally think the size charm of the EVIL cameras is lost with a zoom. Whenever I pick up the EP2 with a prime though, I like the challenge of moving around to get the desired composition rather than just standing still and zooming.

Post subject: Thanks for the help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:23 pm 
Thanks for the help Gordon. I'm fortunate enough to live a short subway ride from B and H so sometime this week I'm going to head down there to try out both the EP2 and the EPL2. In the end, I'll pick whichever feels better in the hand. And you're right, the panasonic f1.7 is pretty much a "must buy" for the m4/3 system. One of the reasons I sold my G2 was so I could use the panny lenses stabilized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:30 am 
Site Admin

Dont' forget they're closed next week!

PS - if you end up buying at B&H, please order through their website by first clicking through to them via our support us page - that's how the site keeps going!