Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Olym 510 Wish List
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:54 pm 
I have decided to purchase the Oly 510 with two lens kit. Now what other additions should I make for the ideal starter list?
The F 36 flash seems logical esp with the rebate
The 25 mm extender is said to work well with the 40-150, and it seems it would work with others as well
or woudl the 35mm macro lens be the better choice?
Finally a bigger piece of glass would hte 14-54 allow more light in the viewfinder, I have not found a store that had one to check
Any other ideas? The 12-60 is too expen for now.

I look forward to your comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:56 pm 

An UV filter, if only to protect your lenses.
Some kind of bag.
Extra battery.

For the rest, just start using and enjoying it and you will discover what you miss. Different people will take different photo's and will wish different things.

Post subject: Wish List
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:16 pm 
Good points all, I have ordered and also ordered the filters as you mention, Perhaps Gordon will add Radio Shack to his list of retailers, they are a grea spot for any kind of battery, the internet radioshack.com rather than the stores which cannot stock all of them

Interesting 81 hits and only one reply.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi River Rat, that's an interesting idea about RadioShack - we'll see if they do an affiliate scheme...

As for accessories and extras, I'm a great believer in using the basic kit for a while first to see how - if at all - it's lacking for your kind of photography. You might think you need a flash now for example, but in reality, you may be able to make do without. Same for lenses. You might think you need a telephoto, but then find that you'd prefer something wider.

If you're really keen to accessorise though, an essential piece of kit is a good tripod - and by good, I don't necessarily mean big and sturdy, but one which also fits into your lifestyle. So on which you'd be happy to carry around and use...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:53 am 
If you like to have a macro in your tools don't for get to check ZD 50mm F2 also combined with the EX-25 extension tube.

Post subject: Me Too...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:42 am 
River Rat, did you get the E510? After looking at an endless stream of reviews I too have decided to get the E510 with the two lens kit.

My first DSLR.

So what do you think? Should I get something else? :D

Post subject: I got the 510
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:11 pm 
Indeed my Oly 510 came yesterday. I suspect Gordon is right in that one should try the kit lenses before buying others. I however decided to take advantage of the Year 2007 rebates from Oly and bought some other lenses, the 14-54, the 35, and the 70-300 as well as the F 36 flash. The last three all have rebates. My experience with my Nikon E series from the 70s was that the lenses lasted for over 25 years unlike lots of other things we spend money on and hey at my age this is so much cheaper and more accessible for every day use than say a Miata Turbo it was easy to justify. As Jeff Goldblum remarked in The Big Chill, ever go a week wtihout a rationaliztion? I am a bit mystified at the Macro setting on the camera. Indeed it does allow one to focus the kit lenses closer, Exactly how does that work, anyone know?

Indeed the kit lenses are amazingly light which is what 4/3 has promised. The camera has very nice feel and finish to it. It does seem that Oly could have come up with a more logical description and grouping of the first two menu choices but the main screen works very well. And for my hands the 510 is a nice size with the right handhold. It supports the larger lenses well. More later.