Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:32 am 
Site Admin

NEW: Olympus E-5: Dustproof, splashproof new D-SLR designed for extreme photography

Olympus’ new flagship is tough as they come:

The ultimate E-System DSLR: E-5

London, 14 September 2010 – Olympus has cornered the market in robust D-SLR design in recent years and its E-3 and E-1 cameras are synonymous with go-anywhere, shoot-anything photography. Now Photokina will offer photographers a first reassuring grip of the new Olympus D-SLR powerhouse designed for imaging on the edge: the next generation flagship E-5.

The direct successor to the award-winning E-3, the E-5’s all-terrain lightweight rigid magnesium alloy body is dustproof, splashproof, incredibly robust.

The new flagship combines Four Thirds lens compatibility and a more powerful image processor to deliver photographs of the very highest calibre. In tandem with the remarkable ZUIKO DIGITAL lens system, the new 12.3 Megapixel High Speed Live MOS sensor and TruePic V+ engine with Fine-Detail Processing technology capture more detailed and sharper images than comparable resolution D-SLR's with larger sensors.

The E-5 sets new standards in reliability, speed and creativity. In addition to Olympus’ unique Supersonic Wave Filter dust reduction system, it features a 3 inch VGA Swivel LCD, a 1/8000 sec. high-speed shutter with 5fps sequential shooting, IS0 6400, HD Movie, wireless flash and ten Art Filters.

With the E-5, professionals can stay creative in virtually any conditions. If they can hack it, so can their camera. The Olympus E-5 will be available for £1500 from late October 2010.

E-5 main features:

Reliability
Dustproof, splashproof, lightweight rigid magnesium alloy body
Supersonic Wave Filter dust protection system
Large viewfinder with 100% field of view
Durable high-speed shutter tested to 150,000 releases
Image Quality
Ultra-effective, Supersonic Wave Drive built-in image stabilisation
12.3 effective Megapixel High Speed Live MOS sensor
New TruePic V+ image processor
ISO 6400 sensitivity
Ten Art Filters with astonishing new Dramatic Tone Filter
Multi exposure mode
Built-in flash with commander function for wireless flash synchronisation
Compatible with Four Thirds Standard lenses

Speed

Live View with high-speed full twin cross 11-point AF system
1/8000 second high-speed shutter with 5fps sequential shooting
Other highlights
3 inch 921,000 dot Dual Axis Swivel HyperCrystal LCD
720p 30fps HD Movie
Stereo microphone jack
SD and CompactFlash card slots for additional memory
2 frame and 7 frame AE bracketing
Level Gauge on the viewfinder
Two easy-to-use dials plus cursor keys for convenient playback

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:02 am 

Seems more like an E3s or E3 mkII

Strange how Olympus develops the tech in its entry level bodies which eventually find their way into the pro bodies a year or so later....

So this seems to be basically a PEN camera's guts stuffed inside an E3 body? and £1500? I'm sure it's a welcome improvement over the E3, but all this could have happened over a year ago, and I'm afraid that while many Olympus users looking for a new mate for their lens investment will likely snap up the new E5, I don't see much to attract potential new DSLR customers and certainly not migrants from Canikon. I'm wondering how this can be marketed being apparently old-tech upon release - even if the image quality is a class-leader, many consumers just look at the numbers. Seems like Olympus will be primarily playing the all-weather bruiser card again.

I've not regretted buying my E520 for a moment (aside from the low light performance) and I have no plans to upgrade the body. I do however have plans to buy some pro lenses, but Olympus don't seem to be too enthusiastic at keeping the 4/3 family alive. Maybe a merger with m.4/3 is on the cards?

Anyway, I'm eagerly looking forward to a review, Gordon! :D

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:55 am 
Oh its 5 fps? 43rumors was reporting a supposed 6fps

im disappointed. The new Pentax mid range K-R has a faster continuous shutter. Maybe 3 years ago 5fps was a good speed for a top level camera like this, but today its quite slow. My friend with his 7d will laugh at me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:45 am 

Yeah I'm disappointed too. I saw some specs posted somewhere a week or so ago and I thought they were just a smokescreen for some new innovative feature in typical Olympus style.

After years of development since the E3 and a history of innovations (sensor-shift IS, live view etc) what we appear to be left with is an entry-level camera in a bullet-proof vest as the new flagship for 4/3. I hope it's not just a last stand to shift some old glass inventory. Besides, all of Oly's HG and SHG lenses should be SSWF by now, after all it's the glass which is Olympus' trump card.

It looks like vastly improved AF, and sensor/low light performance are the only potential saviours here. I'll await some hands-on reviews before passing final judgements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:10 pm 
It's everything that was right with the E-3
+ better image quality
+ better continous focusing
+ better screen
+ movie mode

So, what is a camera about? Taking photos, I assume, and this the E-5 does better then the E-3. So let's see what is going to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:20 am 
It has some pros and cons to it, like all cameras. I will wait to see what the image quality is like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:26 pm 
how much will the e-3 drop in price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:15 pm 

It's more or less what I wanted, but it's a pity the body is not lighter and the price a little lower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:24 am 
It would be nice if it drove the E-30 down in price a bit... :)

My E-510 was almost free,..and got me into DSLRs.And an E-30
or whatever replaces it will either keep me in Olympus stuff or
make me essentially give it away.

The USA is a hard places for Oly fans,...my local Ritz carries nothing for them(even though online kinda does).

If the E-5 was 14-16 MP and actually did 1080p( I know,..I know)....it
would make me wanna keep my glass.

Besides Sony,Pentax,.....how else can I mount 500mm T lenses and telescopes and be stabilized?.... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:09 pm 
i know it's blasphemy but i was hoping it would have a full size sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:40 am 

If you're after a full-sized sensor then you're in the wrong boat. I think the direction Olympus are taking is either:

- concentrate on m.4/3 and eventually drop regular 4/3
- merge the 2 technologies with an E7 type body with a m4/3 mount and EVF

People say Olympus is a dying brand, but i think it's the OVF which is destined for termination. It's possible that other brands will have to deal with disruptive tech too - it's fortunate that 4/3 was designed for digital whereas Canikon systems were more a function of support for legacy glass during their forays into digital.

The mirror box seems like a rather complicated unecessary mechanical relic from film days and I can't see it in future cameras. Olympus were one of the pioneers of EVIL cameras and I believe they'll be the pioneer of high end/pro-EVIL cameras (only to be then overtaken by better managed brands copying their tech :wink: ).

I just wish Olympus would be a little less coy and let their customers in on some of their little secrets.

Either way, this still leads me unwilling to purchase any expensive lenses/accessories for my E520.... which I suppose could be a good thing :) - although thanks to some gearheads jumping ship, there may be a HG/SHG lens fire sale ebay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:39 am 
Site Admin

Ambrose, do you mean a full-frame 35mm-sized sensor? That's not possible with Four Thirds as the lenses are designed for use on sensors measuring 17.3x13mm. The existing lenses can't support anything bigger.

It's frustrating for people wanting very high resolutions and low noise, but remember the sensor size was part of the equation which allow the Four Thirds lenses to perform so well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:57 am 
true. good points gordon. I think the E-5 looks up to par. cant wait for the review.]I will probably watch it several times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:23 pm 
Too little, too late I think. Unless image quality is hugely improved over the other 12.3mp sensor Olys, the rest of the features only bring the E-5 level with the mid range models from Canon, Nikon and Pentax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:51 pm 

On a Japanese forum, there's someone who posted comparison shots between the E5, E3, GH1 and E-PL1:

http://photofan.jp/camera/html/modules/ ... C&start=20

I am still disappointed by the E5 for what it is, but I can not deny it's definitely sharper than other (micro)4/3 cameras based on those shots.