Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: HELP - evolt 450
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:37 pm 
I bought and evolt 450 last year and it really takes poor action pictures. Have the two kit lens 14-40 and 40-150. I am so fed up, thinking of a new camera. Looking at the SONY A500 with a 18-200 sony lens - bundle - $649. (US).

Thoughts? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:25 pm 
Do you have any sample images you can show us?

The twin kit lenses are both great lenses but sports (especially indoor and low light sports) isn't their specialty. Is this sports action or live performances in low light venues?

I don't think an 18-200mm lens will be a big help unless the Sony can go to higher sensitivities to help you get a fast enough shutter speed, but then you may lose out on image quality.

Also make sure that Sony is a brand that you feel will meet your wants/needs from cameras and lenses.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:35 pm 
I will try and send samples. Some of the venues are lower light, ie, night football, or afternoon games. However, even in bright sunlight, fast images are blurred, for example my dog running. Even in bright sun, he is blurred.

What do you suggest? New Camera? What camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:50 pm 
I wouldn't be so quick to suggest new camera. What mode are you mostly shooting in?

Post subject: Re: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:37 pm 
snow26 wrote:
I will try and send samples. Some of the venues are lower light, ie, night football, or afternoon games. However, even in bright sunlight, fast images are blurred, for example my dog running. Even in bright sun, he is blurred.

What do you suggest? New Camera? What camera?

With all due respect, I'd suggest that the camera isn't the one at fault if you're shooting in bright sun and you're getting blurred images. Even the worst DSLR (of which the Olympus E-450 isn't) or point and shoot is capable of capturing a sharp image during the day. Best thing to do would be to post up some images and we can probably suggest what the problem is.

Post subject: blurrrrrrrrr
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:37 am 
I usually shoot in sports mode. I don't see how to attach a photo to this reply? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:21 am 

It's best to learn what settings your camera uses in sports mode and why it uses those settings, then you can adjust or modify them yourself. I suspect sports mode in a Sony (or other brand) would use similar settings.

My camera's performance is probably identical to yours and I don't have the same problems. Shooting action in low-light is perhaps asking too much of the technology though.

I think the mode settings are usually limited to an ISO of 800.

Try setting your camera to 'A' (aperture priority) mode and dial it down to its lowest (ie-widest) aperture setting (3.5 with your lenses).

Increase your ISO to 1600

See how these shots compare with sports mode. There are other ways to squeeze out performace, but try these first.

If you don't know how to do this then refer to your manual.

Buying a different camera body will probably make no difference to addressing your needs - unless you want to spend $1000s on lenses and a pro body.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject: Re: blurrrrrrrrr
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:41 am 
snow26 wrote:
I usually shoot in sports mode. I don't see how to attach a photo to this reply? Thanks

You need to upload it to a photo hosting site or something. Try going to http://imgur.com/ and uploading your image there and then copy the link it gives you and paste it into a message.