Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: E3 or Not?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:08 pm 
Hi all,

I am currently looking at buying an E3 but wondering is it worth buying when I already have an E620. I like that the E3 is weather sealed.
Is there any point in having both cameras, weather sealing on the E3 aside?

Any advice would be great

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Have you read my E3 review? I presume you know the benefits of the bigger model, such as a considerably superior viewfinder, quicker shooting etc.

The question you have to ask is if you want or need the features it has which you don't have on your E620. Your money may be better spent on new lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:45 am 

I agree with Gordon. Also, a replacement for the E3 is rumoured to be coming next month. If so, it could be worth seeing what it offers as the E3 is a few years old now.

Also, if you do decide on an E3, it's price could come down if its replacement is announced.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:55 am 
I love my e3, I also love the feeling and security I get from knowing it is indestructible. [mine has survived numerous multifoot drops with 12-60mm lens attached... Not a scratch on it.

If your hesitation is due to the cost, then I'd wait another month and the E3 will be succeeded by a more modern camera, meaning the E3 will fall in price.

Of course this doesnt mean the E3 will suddenly become a worse camera overnight, so all the benefits will be there.

I'm keeping my eyes open for the future though, the E3 is getting dated in my opinion. I wouldnt mind having a faster shutter rate and video recording. If I had more cash than I do now, I'd be buying a D700... but thats neither here nor there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:57 am 
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have read Gordon's review and I agree with the comments. I think I will leave the E3 for the time being and see what Olympus release next. Perhaps in the mean time I will buy a few bits for my E620.

Thanks all,

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:56 am 

Actually, the E-3 is not as indestructable as we might have thought.

Whilst recently on holiday, I attempted to flip out the screen only to find that the two halves of the screen case (the black plastic part) had come apart, and the two small screws were not attached to anything. Being miles from anywhere, I put it back and hoped it would hold together. It did, but by the time I reached somewhere I was able to buy some superglue, one of the screws had fallen out. I managed to glue the screen back together and fill the screw hole with glue, however I'm not sure what this will have done to the prospect of being able to get it properly repaired.