Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:32 pm 
Jerry Flint is a long time observer of the auto industry. In this article
http://www.forbes.com/business/forbes/2 ... 4/054.html
he makes the point that one manufacturer cannot sell multiple brands under one roof.

This is precisely the problem Olympus, as well as Sony and Pentax, along with 4/3 brothers Panasonic, Leica, and Sigma have. I am amazed frankly that Olympus EVER sells a camera at (name of national outlet intentionally witheld) outlet. The sales folk are all slanted to Nikon or Canon, period. When I ask about Olympus, they stare as though I were looking for the flying saucer out back. Do I have old Olympus lenses, what on earth is my motivation they ask?

Olympus, as one of the photograhers says in an endorsement, has been working in the background. Now they have the quality and the innovation like live view, dust reduction, in camera anit shake... But they are not going to break out of the pack going one on one in a store where the sales staff is stacked against them. I suspect they need a more innovative strategy. How about

You Tube videos of folks happy with their Olympus cameras
The Nikon initiative of distributing 200 cameras in one town was innovative, is that so hard to replicate?
How abut doing that on a big college campus, goodness knows that would be a source of future customers and everyone has computer access.
Sites like cameralabs and other individuals are springing up telling the honest facts about the products, now how does Olympus take advantage of that-links on their websites, that may violate independence or a hundred other things lawyers could object to, but ....

Any more ideas out there?[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

It's a good point River Rat - it would be hard even for a determined shopper not to be put off by store clerks asking why on earth they were going for a certain brand and not another. Beyond opinions, they do of course have their commissions and other incentives though...

I was reading a US outdoors magazine this week and saw an advert by Pentax which described itself as having 'big passion from a small company' and said 'who says you need to buy a DSLR from one of the big two companies'.

They were really going down the 'think different' route and also pitching themselves as a small producer. That's one approach.

Olympus was in the same issue pitching Live View on the E-510 against the 400D and D40x without. I guess they may only have a few more months in which they have this unique advantage at the budget end...

2008 should be an interesting year...

Post subject: Exactly
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:27 pm 
Olympus has the advantages Gordon mentioned in his review (510) of live view, dust reduction, anti shake, but not for much longer, will they be able to break out, not without a dramatic approach I suspect.

I am thinking of waiting beyond PMA at the end of January to buy a DSLR.