Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:28 pm 
I've been looking around and this site is extremely helpful, but I just wanted to get some advice on my particular situation. I have never owned a DSLR before like many of the people on here. My main thing is that I love travelling and really want to be able to take amazing pictures.

From the research I've done so far, it seems to me that Olympus cameras tend to take really bright, vibrant, sharp pictures. This is what has drawn me to these cameras the most.. I just really like how the colours look in all the sample pictures. The pictures always look so striking compared with that of other cameras. Is this just me?

That aside, these are the things I'm looking for in a camera:

-able to take some abuse - I don't want to have to worry too much about my luggage getting tossed around or being stuck in the rain
-compact (I also have really small hands, which makes me like the 410 even more)
-I know I'm drawn to landscape shots, so preferably one that's particularly good for that
-sharp, clear photos
-decent zoom either in kit lenses or affordable lenses I could buy separately
-versatile - both because I'm just starting out so I don't know if my interests will change, and because I don't have a lot of money and can't afford $500 lenses
-longevity - I don't want to be kicking myself in 2 years

It would be great to get some comments on how the 410 and 510 perform in each of these areas.

Now I really really like the idea of the 410 because of the look and size of it. I know it's been asked before but is image stabilization really worth compromising the size? Particularly since I'm into landscapes. Also, would IS help in taking pictures from moving vehicles? How would each of these cameras do in that situation?

One more question - would the 2-lens kit be sufficient for what I want the camera for? I can't see myself becoming a complete photography nut, but I do want to get into it a lot more and be able to take some great pictures. Really I just want a great camera that I will be happy with for years and can take with me anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hello 'dot' - is that how you pronounce it?! Anyway, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

The E-410 is a great camera for travelling as it's so small and light for a DSLR. The twin lens kit will cover you for most situations and the anti-dust system is very effective.

As for IS, yes, it will help when taking photos out of moving vehicles, but only to correct your own shaking, not the left-right motion of the vehicle. As you know, the E-410 does not have IS and there's only a couple of lenses available for it which do.

As for the colours, well a lot of that is down to in-camera processing and to be honest you can tweak any model to give punchy, colourful output.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:55 am 
I was hesitant to move from the P&S to dSLR because of the size factor. I love that my 410 is small. It feels good in my hands even with the larger zoom on it.

I thought I would be happy with the kit lenses after having just a 3x P&S but if I could do it again, I would get the body and one better lens for all around. I almost never use my 14-42 b/c it is too slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:52 pm 
Okay, I know this is addressed in the reviews and stuff but I'm just learning these things - how good is the wideness (I'm probably missing some technical term here..) of the kit lens for landscape shots? I feel like thats usually one of my main annoyances when I'm taking pictures, I like a nice big range.
And also just to get the IS thing straight here - when exactly does this come in handy? Is it more so that you don't have to take the time to steady your hands? Without IS would you be able to quickly whip your camera out and take a shot without thinking about it too much? Does it REALLY make a difference?
I feel like these things are hard to tell by just trying to get a feel of a camera in a store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi 'dot', the IS basically lets you handold shots about three times slower than nroaml. it's for reducing your own natural shake and obviously won't have any effect on freezing a subject in motion.

As for the lens range, check out the Gallery pages of our Olympus E-410 and E-510 reviews for examples of what you can do with the kit lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 am 

Maybe it helps to know what camera you have been using so far. The kitlens is 28 mm wide (equivalent 35 mm), which is quite ok for landscapes. Most compacts start at 35 mm, but nowadays more and more at 28 mm as well.

What I want to say is if you have a compact which starts at 35 mm, the kitlens will probably be ok for you, but if you have one which starts at 28 mm, it won't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:25 pm 
Sounds like 28mm is pretty decent..
I was just thinking since this is my first DSLR and the size factor is important to me, maybe I should get the 410 with the twin lens kit and live without the IS for now, and then maybe in a a year or two there will be some kind of stabilized 4/3 lens out that isn't insanely expensive and I can upgrade if I feel the need.
Ideally I would like to have the option of going on a trip with just one lens... and if something comes available that has a good range and IS, I feel like that + the 410 would be perfect. And who knows if I'll even think IS is necessary?
Thoughts? Any idea what the likelihood of this happening within a couple years is?
Or... is the 510 big enough compared to the 410 that it would be annoying to carry around everywhere? I haven't actually been able to find a 510 in a store yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 pm 

I think IS is a great thing to have and the E510 has IS built in and the E410 not.
Olympus are going for in body IS, so it's not very likely they will ever make an IS lens. Leica/Panasonic (also 4/3 system) do have some IS lenses though and they have announced a few more, but cheap they are not.

Concerning the size, the E510 is not much bigger then the E410, so not too big I would say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Panasonic's 14-150mm stabilised lens sounds like a great all-rounder, but I haven't seen it yet, don't know how much it will cost - AND it looks pretty big.

So if you DEFINITELY want stabilisation on an Olympus, I'd steer towards the E510. Bt if you want a wonderful compact DSLR, and can live without stabilisation, go for the E410. And the twin lens kit is really good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:22 pm 
Hi,

I am very new to cameras, so excuse my lack of knowledge. I cannot look pass the size of the 410, and was wondering to overcome the IS lens issue, is it not possible to use a lens adapter and buy a canon or nikon IS lens?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:47 pm 

Hi mizone,

May I offer you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

Even if you could find such adaptors they would almost certainly disable autofocus and quite possibly auto-exposure. Not to be recommended. Of course the Leica D VARIO-ELMARIT 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 (reviewed here) is compatible with the E-410 and it does have optical stabilisation but you may want to sit down before you check the price. :shock:

Would your budget stretch to the E-510 (reviewed here) as this does have anti-shake built in to the body. It's a bit bigger than the E-410, of course.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:59 pm 
I would say save the hassel and go with the 510 if you can stretch the budget.
You won't have to worry about IS as its built in to the body ..... so (as far as i understand) any aftermarket lens in a 4/3 format would work and have the IS compatable.

I personally like the e-510 size ... it has a nice one handed grip feel to it... which the 410 does not ( i have average sized hands and the 410 feels "small")