Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: KIT lenses vs Body
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:34 pm 
Hi all

After 7 years that i am a happy owner of an old Olympus C-765(great camera), this 4MP camera has start to be a little short for my needs.
I had read a tons of reviews(i started from Camera Labs site :D ), in the last 3-4 months, and i choose between 2 manufacturer Olympus and Nikon.
After compering a little bit the the money vs. quality ratio, in the entry level segment, i choose Olympus becouse of better build of the KIT lenses and camera(and all entry level lenses).
My primary reason why i need a DSLR is for work - graphic design,3D texturing,source photos... and hobby, nature photography-wildlife,macro photogrphy....

Now i am in a little dilemma what to choose:

- an older E-520 with KIT 14-45mm/70-300mm + 2GB CF memory

- or an newer E-620 with KIT 14-45mm/40-150mm +HDL-5
battery grip+2GB CF memory

-the packs cost almost the same.

the 70-300mm lens has really a great reach, its very handy...but the E-620 has the swivel lcd screen that is a great plus in macro shooting,battery grip...
the 40-150mm lens is really cheap if u buy one 2.hand, on other hand an 70-300mm is hard to find 2.hand...

lenses vs. body? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:02 am 
If you are concerned with quality of starter DSLRs i think you should have a look at Pentax.

In terms of the lens, find one that is balanced with your camera. An 18MP sensor generally isin't going to like a kitlens and they will argue, fight and then divorce. :(

Maybe buy the body only version instead and pay a bit more for a better lens. Maybe even sell the kitlens on ebay (check prices before hand).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:17 am 
Pentax K-x has great price and a really good kit lenses(18-55/55-200),
but i had to remove Pentax from my list because in my country(Croatia) is really hard to find 2. hand Pentax lenses and almost impossible find some new ones.
So if i buy an Pentax dslr , for me will be really hard to upgrade the lenses.
Also the DSLR bodies i can find on the market here are just two typs the K-x and K-7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:53 pm 

I went through similar decision making process last fall and went with the E620. You really have to hold these two cameras to appreciate the difference in size; the 620 is smaller. I have large hands but lug a camera around all day when I am using it.

As far as the lenses go Olympus is well known for their lenses to be of very high quality as compared to other brands, even the kit lenses. Search here for threads on the 620 and you will get a better idea. Quite frankly the review here and at Steve'sdigicams convinced me to go with the 620. Wouldn't change a thing about my purchase. Good luck with yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:18 am 
i did compered E-620/E-520 with Canon 500D and Nikon D5000, the size is really a matter of individual shooting habits... well even a small point and shoot camera can be well designed, i was perfectly happy with my C-765, and is much smaller then all of these cameras.

..the other thing i noticed when i was compering those cameras(Oly,Nikon,Canon) it was that Olympus feels much more solid.
The "pistol grip" of Nikon/Canon is ok when u use an small lens, but whit an 70-300mm lens , the grip i think is to close to the lens.

E-620 whit a HDL-5 could get a little bit more of grip when u mount on an larger lens.

Thnx for the advice :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:47 pm 

I haven't picked up the HLD-5 yet but plan to. There are other 4/3 specific websites that give great advice on low light shooting with and Olympus and such, worth a look as well. If you would like to PM me I can share some websites I have found to be useful. This site is great for general stuff but there are there sites that are Olympus or Four Thirds specific.

You commented on how solid the camera feels. Even compared to the E-520, which has a plastic body, the glass fibre body of the E-620 feels and is more rugged.

Remember that every camera has limitations, the key is to learn to live within your cameras limitations rather than complaining about them.

A couple of other Olympus pluses are the built in Image Stabilization and the lens size. Because of the four thirds standard the length of the lenses, both when at smallest and longest focal lengths, is remarkably small when compared to other cameras. Worth reading up on as it is a big decision.

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:26 pm 
I had the same problem. I chose the cheaper of the two. good for learning on then I will move on to the E-5 when it comes out. I would get the two kit lenses then add the 70-300mm. And your still way under $1000. Plus a bag and extra battery then the cards.

If I could start all over again I would get the 520 body and then the 12-60 and the 70-300. But who has that kind of money?

The e-620 is gimmicky. the filters which photoshop can provide and you will find yourself never using the lcd. I only use it to correct white balance and what not. Then shut it off completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:33 pm 
also my dad got the e-620 and took some wicked low light shots. all of his pics were unedited and looked really great. i've been having a hard time with low light. oh yeah and adobe light room is key. your pictures wont start looking real good until you start editing them. DSLR is harder to use then a point and shoot. but has a sharper picture and allows you to do a lot more.

the 70-300 is great for portraits and macro. awful for landscape. (naturally its a zoom.)

the grip on the 520 is what sold me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:35 pm 
p.s. one more thing, sorry. no where is cheaper then amazon.com unless you get your gear used. (boo) you can support the camera labs forum by clicking the amazon link on the top of the web page. good luck. and enjoy getting your Olympus in the mail. It's exciting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:17 pm 
Thnx a lot for ur comments.