Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 pm 
The tripod mount on the Olympus EPL-1 is not aligned with the lens axis, but is located off to one side.

Q-1: Is this same misalignment on the EP-1 and EP-2?
Q-2: Same on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 ?

Thanks
richardmaple

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:26 pm 

I can confirm the E-P1 tripod mount is a little offset from the plane passing through the middle of the lens, and would assume the E-P2 is similar in that.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38 pm 
Popo thanks for the feedback.

Does someone know if it's the same with the Lumix DMC-GF1?

Thanks
richardmaple

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:55 pm 
What are the drawbacks to having the mount off center? I can only see a problem if you're doing a panorama... but even so, photoshop has such powerful algorithms that its not a problem. I mean I've seen people make panoramas without even using a tripod!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 am 
Atomic, thanks for your question.

I do a lot of macrophotography and also imagery through a microscope using eyepiece projection, and at prime focus of a telescope. Sometimes you can clamp the camera via an adapter and extension rings directly onto the microscope---sometimes you can use a tripod or (in my case with the telescope) a homemade gadget that mounts the camera on the telescope to keep everything aligned.

There is a long list of cameras with the tripod mount aligned with the lens axis and I would prefer to not have to fabricate new parts to allow for non-aligned versions. The trade-off might be worth the trouble, but only if the Panasonic DMC-GF1 also has a misaligned tripod mount.

Does someone know for sure if, on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1, the tripod mount is aligned with the lens axis?

Be well,
richardmaple

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 pm 
The GF1 does has the tripod mount aligned with the lens axis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:19 am 
Jeremy,
Thank you very much for the information and hooray for Panasonic.
Be well,
richardmaple

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:59 am 
...as a follow up, I bought the micro 4/3 Panasonic DMC GF1. It arrived and it is truly an awesome machine. The biggest negative so far is the manual.
Thanks for your help.
richardmaple