Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:15 am 
I have 3 questions:

Q-1: will the remote cable release (RM-UC1) work with the epl-1? It is listed as an accessory for the ep-1 & ep-2, but not listed for epl-1.

Q-2: is there a way to connect the ep-1, ep-2 or epl-1 to a 110v converter or to the battery charger to save the battery from running down during long bulb exposures?

Q-3: there are "T" adapters available on ebay for 4/3 lens mounts (both olympus & panasonic). Can I use such an adapter to couple an ep-1, ep-2 or epl-1 to a microscope with a matched T-thread?

Thanks,
richardmaple

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:02 am 
The answer to all of your questions is most likely yes but I dont know for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:05 am 

Hi Richard,

May I offer you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

The Olympus UK accessories page for the E-PL1 lists the RM-UC1 so, despite the fact that the E-PL1 isn't mentioned in the descriptive paragraph, I think there's every chance the RM-UC1 would be fine.

I don't own and haven't played with any of the models you mention but looking through the EP-1 manual I can find no mention of an accessory to save the battery in that way.

Wouldn't you need a T-mount adaptor for a micro four-thirds mount rather than the four-thirds you mention? Bristol Cameras stock one made by Kood (here) so I'm sure an appropriate search will turn up something similar in your locality. Novoflex also produce an adaptor (Google search). It's expensive but maybe the price is justified - the press release (via 4/3 Rumors) states that the:
    new adapters are made to very precise and high standards to ensure exact infinity focus on these new camera bodies. With the Micro Four Thirds cameras automatic exposure metering via stop-down metering is possible as is aperture priority auto exposure.
Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:30 pm 
Atomic--thanks for the feedback
Bob Anderson--thanks for the welcome message, feedback, and lead to 4/3 Rumors.

Panasonic GF-1 uses a wire from the battery charger to the camera's battery compartment. Pentax *istDS uses a wire from a plug at the camera to a voltage converter. Other manufacturers have different solutions to this...I think Olympus should have worked out the external power problem.

I do macrophotography and imagery through microscopes & telescopes. For me, the real features of the 4/3 micro format are these:

a) live enlargement by "zooming pixels" is far superior (brighter & with more contrast) compared to the typical SLR viewing screen with an external magnifier,

b) light weight, small size & interchangeable lenses.

Does anyone have a handle on image quality (live at the LCD and also on the SD card) for the Olympus EP-1 or 2, EPL-1 vs Panasonic GF-1?

Thanks for being there,
richardmaple