Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:19 am 
hello all,

I am currently searching for an entry level dslr and in doing so I've come across a few brands/models Im interested in. At first the e420 was my first choice being that its extremely cheap($369 here at walmart) but after doing some research on the camera I found that it was released over two years ago. With that being said, I wouldn't want to invest in this model only to have it be replaced in the very near future. what do you guys think, should I wait for a newer release? or maybe go with another brand? IE: sony a230/330, nikon d3000. Also from what I've read, Olympus seems to make some great quality cameras/lenses. Advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:31 pm 
most people are snagging up the e-520 at the moment. Olympus makes great lenses. Even the entry level lenses are awesome. 4/3rds has a smaller sensor. so low light pics are tricky. The most important thing to get great pics is editing them. I use adobe light room. And I realized its the true secret behind good pictures. Olympus definitely gives the possibility of some spectacular pictures. They are smaller and less expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:22 pm 
thanks for the info! yeah I've heard nothing but good things about olympus lenses. I'm gonna check out the 520, for some reason my gut has been telling me to get an olympus and you should always follow your gut right? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:54 pm 
Congratulations on your purchase. The E-420 shares the same sensor as the E-520. Essentially you would be getting a slightly bigger body with image stabilization. While the E-520 is a great camera, you may want to look at getting the E-600 or 620. It has a body size which is between the 4/5 series and also packs image stabilization. Aside from that you get more iso options and a better focusing system (the latter is subjective).

I recently sold my E-520, it has served me well for quite some time and I've enjoyed it, just needed something better for the low light venues I was shooting in.

If I didn't need the money to finance lighting purchases I definitely would've kept the E-520.