Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: UZ Prosumer versus E 510
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:52 pm 
I just read the Olympus 560 UZ test and Gordon liked it noting some softness and color fade off given the extended zoom range of the lens. Comparing to the Nikon D 04, the UZ has obvioulsy the greater lens range while the D 40 is faster with the shutter and presumably does not have the compromises in lens quality but then one has to buy more lenses.

Having said all that, I am considering purchase of an Olympus 510. Bottom line, I guess with Live View off I can expect faster shutter speed than with my 500 UZ. The 500 has a 10x zoom but no still photo stabilization. This is the first model, it is really slow shutter wise to the frustration point. But will the photos form the 510 be noticeably better?

Any thoughts on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:47 pm 
Well even entry level DSLRs will offer better image quality than high end compacts or super zooms. The D40 is definitely a faster camera but you might have to consider buying different lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi River Rat, there's lots to weigh up between a DSLR and a compact / superzoom - check out this article I wrote...

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR ... DSLR.shtml

Post subject: Rationalizing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:15 pm 
Gordon

Well first of all, as another post said, thanks for a great website, I am simply blown away at your Consumer Reports type accuracy but the friendliness with which you appear on camera

thanks for the comparo article, I needed a rationalization

I am going to keep my 500 UZ and buy the 510, as Jeff Goldblum remarked in the movie The Big Chill,

"Ever go a week without a rationalization?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to help! We've also got a great community here on the forum as you've noticed. Some really helpful people and great advice!