Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:36 am 
Just want to pass along a quote I got from Photo Rumors website:

This is according to Olympus America’s DSLR product manager Richard S. Pelkowski:

Quote:
“I would say that within 24 months the E system will not have a mirror box at all. Up until we launched the Pen cameras all manufacturers were doing was fitting a digital sensor in what is ultimately a film camera body – there was nothing different. But with digital and electronic technology we can make cameras so much smaller. Soon the AF system in the Pen cameras will be as fast as that in the E system DSLRs so there it will be possible to get just as good AF performance without the mirror system. We have a great range of lenses for the Four Thirds system, and they’re not going anywhere, but they will be used on smaller and lighter more modern bodies.”

They got it from Amateur Photographer magazine
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/ne ... ml?aff=rss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:50 am 
Very skeptical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:33 pm 

The only logical way to implement a mirrorless 4/3 camera is to make it m4/3 mount. It wouldn't make sense to make yet another new mount, and there's no point sticking to 4/3 mount if you want size and space saving.

The big question is how do they expect to deliver on the AF speed promise? Right now, they're still lagging behind Panasonic in the m4/3 space. What can they do in 1 or 2 years to make it "as good as DSLR"?

I have to wonder how much authourity the Olympus America marketing guy really has.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:56 pm 
I am hoping they start selling a successor to E-3, and after that I don't think I would care if they change it.
E-5 would give me around 3-5 years to become better photographer and in 5 years I expect them to deliver more benefits in mirror-less design enough to jump on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:56 pm 
According to an article just posted today on another website, Olympus states:

"Olympus is still committed to the Four Thirds DSLR standard and will continue to develop it in tandem with its Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras, says the company's US DSLR product manager. In response to press speculation, 'We still plan to develop full size DSLRs and both, side-by-side.'

The PEN range addresses different needs, he said: 'With the P1 and P2, we were selling to existing DSLR users but with the launch of the E-PL1, we're expanding that to a group of people who feel disenfranchised. We found about 20% of digital camera buyers wanted better image quality but didn't want the size and weight of a traditional DSLR.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm 

If that rumor were true then it'd be best to buy and collect those pro and top pro 4/3 lenses before m4/3 floods the market with consumer grade lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:58 am 
What make you think that m4/3 stands for consumer grade? Leica used to have 2 systems side by side; the M and R system. The smaller rangefinder M system still lives and was not inferior in any way compared tot the reflex R-system which ended a few years ago.

True, at this moment there is not an alternative for the 12-60mm lens and other magnificent E-system lenses. But in time there will be, as well as pro bodies and that's a good thing!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 am 
Enche Zein wrote:
Just want to pass along a quote I got from Photo Rumors website:

This is according to Olympus America’s DSLR product manager Richard S. Pelkowski:

Quote:

They got it from Amateur Photographer magazine
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/ne ... ml?aff=rss

And how does the title of this discussion match what you are quoting? Did you even read what that guy says?

Having an mirrorless E-System means there has to be an E-System, so FT will go on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:42 am 
So how about the fate of four third system?

Interestingly, 43 rumors also received information from their trusted source about the possibility that E-5 could be a micro four thirds camera (mirorless design). If that is true, this will mark the end of four third system. However, if you have four third system lenses, you still will be able to use it via special adapter.

UPDATE: Olympus might use new Trine sensor so it could accomodate 43 and micro43 lenses in the same camera body. This will make E-5 a revolutionary camera. But it might take a while until the camera is fully developed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:50 am 
Rumour has it that a new E-460 with integrated stabilizer is about to be launched soon, so let's just wait and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:43 pm 

Anyway, it's about time for a new E-whatever body. It seems the development of 4/3 is at least slowing down

Post subject: Mmmmm
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:55 am 
I really feel that the reflex system has something big of its own. you have an accurate view of what exactly will be taken by the camera with no hardware/software processing in between. no parallax error, no delay and (the big and) no ISO struggle when zooming or composing in low light. the ugliest thing than a micro-low-resolution EVF is a big-mega-noisy live view. MFT is a wonderfull system with great IQ and flexibility given by the variety of lenses. Possibly the coolest thing about MFT is the possibility of using non-SLR lenses in a SLR-like way trough the EVF (example: leica lenses). an EVF can be great but an optical viewfinder will not be beaten soon :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:05 am 
I hope not.

I was thinking of switching from Nikon to Olympus IF they stepped up there game a bit. (waiting for the E-5??)

Oh well, we will see how it goes. :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:54 am 
Quote:
an EVF can be great but an optical viewfinder will not be beaten soon Razz

Have you used the EVF of the EP-2 / EPL-1? It's far superiour to every viewfinder made by olympus so far, especially for macro work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:16 am 

I don't mind so much about the viewfinder as long as the resolution is high enough and the mirror may be gone if de autofocus works fast with my existing lenses.