Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:17 am 
Why would anyone buy a 4/3rds camera?

(EDIT - I've reworded the title to generate better response - Gordon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:49 am 
Site Admin

Are you being deliberately provocative?!

I'll assume not, and kick this off with a great reason: some of the best lenses available for any system.

Number two: one of the best anti-dust systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:41 am 
Compact size :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:09 am 
For me, primarily three reasons.

the 12-60mm lens [which goes along with what Gordon stated]
The built in Image Stabilization
and the weather sealing of the E-3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:34 pm 

I do a lot of hiking and trekking and my e520 + 2 kit lenses are probably the most compact, lightest, cheapest, most ergonomically pleasing, and performing camera for my needs.

I take it with me everywhere everyday.

I've heard a couple of pro photographers who claim to live without primes by using just the top quality pro zooms. This creates a cheaper, lighter, and weatherproof system (with the E3)

I used my previous camera for 5 years, and I'm sure I'll be using this one for several years too.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:50 am 
Q! Gordon for the edit. (as in thank Q)

I wasn't being provocative. I was just wondering why people prefer the four thirds system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:14 pm 
Always IS in every lens you ever buy.
And the menu of Olympus is also for me verry good.
Special the flip of the photo when you turn youre camera portrat landscape possision.

But special is the IS in the body like also the best anti dust system in a camera.
For me only Oly's :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:53 pm 
so here's another question, what are the drawbacks (if any) of the 4/3's system?

It seems on paper that olympus produces great cameras, and great lenses... but why does most of the consumer market still prefer DSLR's like Nikon and Canon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:12 pm 
Joel A wrote:
so here's another question, what are the drawbacks (if any) of the 4/3's system?

It seems on paper that olympus produces great cameras, and great lenses... but why does most of the consumer market still prefer DSLR's like Nikon and Canon?

Because theyre well established as the biggest names in the industry, simple as that. Same reason people buy ipods over other MP3 players that on paper are all much better deals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:28 pm 
Atomic wrote:
Joel A wrote:

Because theyre well established as the biggest names in the industry, simple as that. Same reason people buy ipods over other MP3 players that on paper are all much better deals.

so you're saying Olympus DSLR's are like the Microsoft zune? If that's the case i don't want it! LOL :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:03 pm 
The only real inherent drawback is that it's a smaller sensor than APS-C.

While many improvements have been made to handle noise, the bottom line is that - all else being equal - the same number of photosites on a larger sensor inherently is more noise-free at increasing ISO levels. Either because of more distance between photosites or because the photosites can be larger.

One might say that 4/3 is to APS-C as APS-C is to full-frame and all the same dynamics apply. The same could be said about FF/FX to medium-format.

Does it make any practical difference? No, for the most part not.

I think the 4/3 system is one of the more interesting developments as sensor tech and processors have improved - using it to create smaller and potentially more power-efficient cameras.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:26 pm 
Joel A wrote:
so you're saying Olympus DSLR's are like the Microsoft zune? If that's the case i don't want it! LOL :lol:

from all user accounts, people have been just as happy, if not MORE happy with their zunes compared to ipods. ive never had one though. Ive had an ipod however and hated it. Now I have an iPhone and it is still plagued with glitches more than 2 years from its release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:31 pm 

Joel A wrote:

The Canon & Nikon systems are established and offer a vast range of lenses. There probably is a case of brand snobbery created by the fact the pros use Canon or Nikon (due to the vast array of lens options and history).

The other reason I can see is the sensors are smaller than APS-C and it is common folklore on photography forums that a larger sensor gives a lower pixel density for a given resolution and hence lower noise and smaller possible apertures before diffraction effects interfere with IQ. (The new Canon 7D has a diffraction limited aperture at f/6.8)

When I bought my 400D the four thirds cameras were in their infancy and have greatly improved over the last year or so. If I was starting out today I would consider one as I love to use my DSLR with a small lens as a P&S :wink:

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super

MY FLICKR!

Last edited by mirageii on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:25 pm 
Hi, what swung me to Oly 4/3 over the the more common Canon & Nikon products was
    1. Value
    2. Built in IS
    3. Lens Size: Much smaller and lighter than similar Canon / Nikon models (the Canon / Nikon 70 - 300mm lenses are really big and heavy compared to Oly)
    4. Lens Quality: All reports I read indicated Oly kit lenses were the best - important as I am unsure if or when I would ever upgrade to better quality glass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:43 pm 
mainlander1 wrote:
Hi, what swung me to Oly 4/3 over the the more common Canon & Nikon products was
    1. Value
    2. Built in IS
    3. Lens Size: Much smaller and lighter than similar Canon / Nikon models (the Canon / Nikon 70 - 300mm lenses are really big and heavy compared to Oly)
    4. Lens Quality: All reports I read indicated Oly kit lenses were the best - important as I am unsure if or when I would ever upgrade to better quality glass

sounds very similar to the reasons I'm thinking of going Olympus! I like the feature set of the E-620, but i'm a little bit worried that the camera might be too small for me. I'll have to find it in a store so that i can check it out.