Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: E 510 Shutter Lag
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:39 pm 
At a retail chain camera shop the salesmen did not like the Olympus DSLRs because they showed me the Nikon D 40 and Canon Xti would shoot much faster, just hit the shutter button, the Olympus DSLRs had significant shutter lag,
Is this the case or was I being fooled ?
Is this due to Live View?
If so, can Live View be disabled?
I realize one can shoot in burst mode but I am speaking of just picking up the camera and hitting the shutter release, any comments versus the Nikon or Canon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:56 pm 

Hi River Rat,

A warm welcome to te CameraLabs forums.

I can't offer any advice about shutter lag on the Olympus E-510 but you can certainly disable Live View. For all you ever wanted to know (and more) you can download the E-510 manual using this link.

It may help inform advice from other forum members if you could give us an idea of what it is that you want your camera to do especially well. Is high speed part of your priority list?

If you haven't found it yet, be sure to check out Gordon's best budget digital SLRs feature which covers all three of the models you mention.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:15 pm 
There isn't any (discernable) shutter lag on the E510 with Live View disabled.

Post subject: 510 Shutter Lag
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:21 pm 
I went back to the store today. The 510, with live view engaged, shot quickly enough, I wonder if they had done something to keep it from working as fast as it could. The sales people, one particular at this store, is a Nikon man thru and thru. He even saw me today and asked WHY I would want an Olympus, anti shake is not a big deal he said until you get to a 200 lens, not the case in the review, the idae of the lighter lens due to teh 4/3 format is appealing and Olympus is doing much better with its controls and menu on the 510. My 500 UZ is a great camera.

Actually it was a 410, and the reviewer in England is right it does not have as large a grip as the 510.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:45 am 
The Olympus E510 shoots contineously at 3 fps which isn't supper fast but adaquate for most stuff. The E510 can be slow to focus in dim light with the kit lenses (especially with builtin flash since it uses the flash to focus), however with the 14-54mm lens the E510 performs well. If you are using LiveView it takes nearly a full second for the shutter to click, but not when using the viewfinder. At least you're at a store where you can try several different cameras before buying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:47 pm 
Pete and Brian are confirming what I thought, when using live view there is some lag for the mirror to move back and forth, I looked at the manual as suggested and in the index,but don't see it, I assume that somewhere in the menu options one can disable Live View and then the camera functions just like the Nikon or Canon which do not have it?

Post subject: Moved
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:12 pm 

Hi River Rat

Hope you don't mind but I moved this topic out of User Reviews and into the Olympus forum. I considered whether it might have been better in the Buying a New Camera forum but as the topic has become Olympus specific I think you will get the best level of response here.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:33 pm 
Live View is turned on and off by a dedicated button on the back. 99% of the time on my E510 it's off - and functions just like a DSLR without Live View!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:28 am 
Pete

Thanks that is exactly what I suspected and wanted to know, I gather you are happy with your 510, after reading the explanations about 4/3 this sounds like a lighter lens to me that does more than canon and nikon, I can't see an appreciable difference in the photos in the camera labs reports, I suspect that there is no diff in the Olympus and current Canon Nikon offerings, it would be interesting to know if they all use the same machines to make the optics now that I think about it, if you are happy with your 510 I believe that is the way I will go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:17 am 

Hi River Rat,

Oh dear, perhaps I should have moved this thread to Buying a New Camera after all. :oops: If you are interested in how modern lenses are made have a wander through the Canon Virtual Lens Plant. I am sure the methods described are pretty typical of all lens manufacture.

Bob.

Post subject: Lens Plant
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:38 pm 
Bob

I think the Olympus forum is the right one, and perhaps it IS time to ask such questions. For example, the truth is that my all aluminum engine in my 2003 Ford Escape is as well made as anyone's, Mercedes just charges more money for theirs. And so, is the legendary Nikon Canon name THAT much better, especially for the consumer lenses that most of us will buy. Sure Nikon and Canon offer dozens of lenses but who among us realy is going to buy one of those $2,000 wonders? Perhaps Olympus needs to post a tour of its plant!

Post subject: Link to Physcist Site
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:12 pm 
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html

I found this link on a forum post and have spent a few hours since reading, gee, the most comprehensive explanation of everything 4/3 I have yet read. And he has some particularly great shots and evals of the two current kit lenses, better than you might think.

River Rat