Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best Olympus Prime
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:46 pm 
Hi gang, I posted a similar query in some other forums... I'm comparing lens selections for the Canon 500D (T1i), Nikon D5000, and Olympus E-620, to help me select a DSLR.

With my old film SLR, I have a 50mm f1.8 that I used to use a LOT. Inside work, portraits, semi-macro. I loved how bright it was, and how shallow I could make the depth-of-field.

So for the Olympus E-620, what is the best fast (aperature of 1.4-2.0), fixed-focal-length, that will result in something in the 28-50mm range (actual, which I know is something like 17 or 30 in today's cropped-sensor world)? i.e. I'm looking for something that will result in 35-50mm (fixed) if full-frame.

In other words, something to augment the kit lens.

I'll add the other end (telephoto) later.

My biggest priority is IQ and detail/sharpness.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:43 pm 
Well perhaps the best 50mm (35mm equiv) prime wouldn't be by Olympus then. The Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 lens would be the lens you are after. Arguably one of THE lenses to have for the 4/3 system.

No need to add a whole new thread for the telephoto end, the Olympus 150mm f2 (300mm 35mm equiv) would be the best telephoto prime lens of the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:53 pm 
Thanks for the info, idavis!

I've heard of the "Leica" lens, but I've also heard they're expensive. I should have mentioned in my original post: I'm looking for something less than $250, hopefully...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:20 pm 
Ed P wrote:

I've heard of the "Leica" lens, but I've also heard they're expensive. I should have mentioned in my original post: I'm looking for something less than $250, hopefully...

I see. Indeed the PanaLeica is an expensive one. There is also the Olympus 25mm f2.8 pancake lens as an alternative option, albeit it is slower.

You also have the option of maybe getting an AF Confirm OM/Nikon/Canon => 4/3 adapter. I've been considering getting some 35mm => 4/3 adapters to try out some older lenses. You would just have to get used to manual focusing.

You could probably get a 3rd party OM => 4/3 adapter and the OM 50mm f1.4 lens for less than $175.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:54 am 
Sigma 30mm F1.4

I have it and its very useful, although not as much of a joy to use as Olympus glass. [12-60mm is the most exciting lens to use]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:58 am 
idavis wrote:
Ed P wrote:

I see. Indeed the PanaLeica is an expensive one. There is also the Olympus 25mm f2.8 pancake lens as an alternative option, albeit it is slower.

You also have the option of maybe getting an AF Confirm OM/Nikon/Canon => 4/3 adapter. I've been considering getting some 35mm => 4/3 adapters to try out some older lenses. You would just have to get used to manual focusing.

You could probably get a 3rd party OM => 4/3 adapter and the OM 50mm f1.4 lens for less than $175.

Hmm... that's an interesting proposition... my old SLR camera is an Olympus OM, and I still have the lovely 50mm/1.8 on it... (as well as a pretty nice 35mm-70mm zoom).

But don't adapters usually "cost" another step or two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:00 am 
Atomic wrote:
Sigma 30mm F1.4

I have it and its very useful, although not as much of a joy to use as Olympus glass. [12-60mm is the most exciting lens to use]

Yeah, the guys in the Canon and Nikon sections mentioned that too (I'm looking at lens solutions for all three makes). Definitely going to have to go to a camera store and check out Sigma. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:38 pm 
The 50/2.0 is superb. It is almost perfect, with the exception of the AF which can be a bit jerky.

As for the Leica, I think I'll just link to my user review of the lens here.

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:16 pm 
One might take a look at micro 4/3 too, because the 20mm 1.7 really sounds like a great lens and you can use the 4/3 primes as well.