Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 25mm yes or not?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:16 pm 
Hi everyone!
first of all sorry for my english..and my scarce knowledge of photography :roll:

i have Olympus e 420 with kit lenses 14-42 and 40-150.
I was thinking about buying a 25mm but is it really worth it?
i mean..f/2.8 isn't too "high" for a 50 mm?
i've found it for a bit more than 200 euros which i think is a bit expensive..
i've tried a friend's 50mm f/1.8 and f/1.4 on a canon and it's great..but i don't know if it would be the same with 25mm f/2.8.

i've also read somewhere that the optical quality of the 25mm isn't much better than the 14-42 lens set at 25mm..as i don't care much about the portability of camera+lens.

so what do you think?
thanks so much!
and Merry Christmas to everyone!hope you're having wanderful holydays!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:47 am 
DOn't get it then, since I think the major benefit of that lens is to be used as a street lens, where camera should be light and less distracting for people around you...Try to get at least 14-54 since thats a great lens and a big step up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:06 am 

Aside from the size advantage and slightly faster aperture, I don't really see any benefit with the pancake. I also don't see how it can be much less conspicuous in street photography than the 14-42 - i mean it's still a large hunk of electronics you're sticking in people's faces and you'd have to get pretty close sometimes with 50mm EFL.

I think this is more of a fun lens for someone with a few lens chouces already. For your first purchase after the kit lenses I'd go for the 14-54 as darkesha said (but the 12-60 is a much better investment if you can afford it) or maybe the 50mm f/2.

These lenses are more expensive, but they also represent a considerable advantage over what you already have, which the 25mm pancake, IMO, doesn't. They are quite a bit larger & heavier too, and I'd think that the if your next purchase AFTER these were to be the pancake, then I think it could be more justified.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:05 am 
If portability is not an issue for you, don't get the 25 pancake then. I have it, and it's fun to use as a walk around lens. In terms of low light performance and sharpness, it's slightly better than the 14-42, but not much better.

If you want better low light performance and image quality in a standard zoom, think 12-60 or 14-54. Otherwise, if you want another lens to compliment your repertoire of 14-42 and 40-150, think 9-18. That way you'll have an EFL coverage of 18-300mm.

The sharpest lens from the 4/3 family is probalby the 50 macro.

Other lenses to consider for low light would be the Sigma 24/1.8, 30/1.4, and 18-50/2.8.