Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Go micro ...or not
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:33 am 

I've been an E-3 owner for the past 2.5 years, enjoyed every single moment of using it, loved all its features and image quality, loved all my lenses (12-60, 50-200, 8mm..etc). I seriously love them all from bottom of my heart and I've been producing great looking pictures.

Have been travelling a lot, mostly doing long 4-8 hrs day hikes in the US (Utah, Yosemite..etc). The camera and lenses are...heavy. E-3 + 12-60 + 50-200 in the backpack, possibly a tripod (usually I don't bring one unless I know I'll be taking epic shots in advance) and all the other goodies = a very heavy backpack for a 4+ hours hike up/down hill, esp on summer days.

Have been thinking a couple times to switch to m4/3, but eventually didn't due to various edges that the E-3 has over any m4/3: max shutter speed, optical VF (i may be able to give this up as the latest EVF seems pretty decent), tons of bracketing modes, weather proof-ness, and most importantly, the large aperture lenses (m4/3 ones mostly start at F3.5)

Still, it's heavy..! It's going to be much, much easier to hike long hours with a m4/3 body+lens than with the E-3.

Plus, I can record video with some of the m4/3 cameras, whereas with the E-3 I need to bring my Panasonic ZS3 (pt & shoot) with me (usually kept handy in a camera bag attached to my belt) for taking 720p videos (Yes I take lots of videos during my hikes) So I always end up bringing 2 cameras.

I don't think I can afford a m4/3 body + all the new m4/3 lenses, without cashing my entire E-3 system/lenses collection.

So what do you guys think, go micro or not? I know it comes down to the "feature set" that I can/can't live without, but still, I can't decide. Any insight/suggestion/advice will certainly help a lot! :wink:

Cokin system

Herman's Photography
http://hermantse.smugmug.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:24 pm 

I dont know. The Olympus system is so much smaller then nikon/canon systems. why dont you ask those guys how they lug all their stuff around. maybe you should not hike for so long and just bring your stuff on smaller hikes. or a point and shoot might be good. Bleh!

I will trade you my e-520 and you can keep your lenses. Problem solved!

Olympus E-520
Zuiko 14-54mm II
Zuiko 70-300mm
Zuiko 50mm
B+W Filters
LowePro Classified 160
Lexar Professional Series Compact Flash
Olympus M+ 2 GB Flash Card
Optech Soft Case Pouches and Lens Sleeves
Optech Ez Comfort Neck Strap
California Sunbounce Sun-Sniper Camera Strap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:26 pm 

p.s. all jokes aside i would give micro a few years. never jump into somthing right away. thats the knowledge i've gained from technology. always let it get more advanced before investing. same thing with laser eye surgery. :?

Olympus E-520
Zuiko 14-54mm II
Zuiko 70-300mm
Zuiko 50mm
B+W Filters
LowePro Classified 160
Lexar Professional Series Compact Flash
Olympus M+ 2 GB Flash Card
Optech Soft Case Pouches and Lens Sleeves
Optech Ez Comfort Neck Strap
California Sunbounce Sun-Sniper Camera Strap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:34 am 

It really depends on what you shoot. I would assume (I don't have any µFT stuff) that both systems add up. You can have a Pen with the Panasonic 20mm pancake as your everyday camera and use you Oly gear for special assignments or events where you know that you will shoot heavily.

So far, the µFT lens selection makes it hard to fully replace your gear and while you can use your FT lenses via adapter, I doubt handling an EP-1 with the 50-200mm attached would be much fun

Light travel equipment:
Olympus EP-2, µZD 14-42mm , Panasonic 20mm 1.7 pancake.

Cullmann Trento IT Daypack