Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:34 pm 
It's only a matter of time before the next flagship body is to be announced/released. I think that @ least amongst the 4/3 community that the new sensor has generated a decent buzz, at least enough to get people excited for the next entry. What do yo expect to see from the upgrade? Anything on your wishlist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:20 pm 

If it doesn't have the Truepic V chip (or something better) then it's a joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 pm 
Well it will obviously have the new trupicV, and probably stay at 12MP like Oly says. Movie mode I'm sure too. I can't imagine anything they can do to really shock us except more MP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:57 am 

Anyway any bets on when this new camera will be announced/released?

I've noticed some stores slashing prices on some E-3's. It could still be a normal store discount ssince prices on E-620 have also come down a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:22 am 
Supposedly they will announce sometime in fall, maybe to have it on sale before the holidays.

I am skeptical about this however, considering how long the E-1 was around, and how little has actually changed since the E-3, I don't think that Olympus would [should] release a successor so early. I'd love for them to release it as early as possible, because that means it will fall in price sooner and I will be able to pick up for cheap sooner, but it just doesnt seem that there will be THAT much difference between the E-3 and its successor.

What I CAN however see happening is maybe the release of an E-3s or similar... basically the 12 MP sensor, TrupicV, video mode, and those art filters... in the E-3 body.

Hmm... how can we have a dSLR thats wheather proof also recording video with sound...? Maybe sealable microphone area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:17 pm 

Like E3 +
- movie mode
- hdmi
- hihger resolution screen
- 12 MP
- art filters
- faster contrast based af
- 6 fps
- flash assist light

And I think that even if the camera only evolves, they should still make a new model. For exemple I don't understand there is a E450, but no E550. The iq of the E450 is better then that of the E520, so reason enough to update.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:42 pm 
In addition to what's already been said:

- Lighter and smaller body but still fully weather proof;
- Brighter and higher resolution LCD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:27 am 
Im going to be the buzzkill on this thread and say that it for sure won't have an autofocus assist lamp, and for sure won't be lighter.

I'm also worried it might not have a movie mode because the microphone would kill the weather sealing. Do waterproof pocketcams have video recording with audio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:05 pm 
Standard a grip in the packige of the new E* camera. :D
Ore the camera a litlle bigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:42 am 
Format-je wrote:
Standard a grip in the packige of the new E* camera. :D
Ore the camera a litlle bigger.

Nope, grip will never be standard on a camera in this market. These cameras need to be flexible and need to be compact[ish] when required.

Gosh im such a bad person to have on these kinds of threads.

Also, I still doubt that Olympus would release a full on successor to the E-3 so soon, theres just not enough for them to put in it. The best we can hope for is something like an E-3s with the new bigger sensor and trupicV and video.

Supposedly the new Pentax has video and is weather sealed, so it is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:29 pm 

Bigger... sensor? How is it possible with (m)4/3? All the sensors have been the same size since the E1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:43 pm 
Masked Avenger wrote:
Bigger... sensor? How is it possible with (m)4/3? All the sensors have been the same size since the E1.

more resolution is what they mean. I doubt it will be more than 12MP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:59 pm 

Atomic wrote:
Im going to be the buzzkill on this thread and say that it for sure won't have an autofocus assist lamp, and for sure won't be lighter.

Maybe ur right, but I want the autofocus assist lamp...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:09 pm 
Hans wrote:
Atomic wrote:

Maybe ur right, but I want the autofocus assist lamp...

Me too :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:01 am 
a 12mp sensor will be more than fine for me, 10mp has surely been enough for the prints i've made so far.

@ atomic: definitely sucks that olympus still has yet to implement a focus assist lamp. guess we can only hope they come to their senses as far as that is concerned.

if it's the same size as the e-3, i wouldn't mind. i personally don't find the e-3 to be all that heavy. movie mode wouldn't be necessary, but it does seem interesting. i like to photograph events and music concerts so hd video and sound definitely seems like it may have some benefits. i've also seen some music videos shot with dslr's and that really sparks my interest.

either way, the future is looking exciting, they just gotta get it right!