Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:31 pm 
hi there, I am considering to buy the E-510 but I am still stuck between the E-510 and the nikon D40x,

and today I found out that Olympus over here has put a 100 euro cash back on the E-510,

So i'm leaning towards the E-510 but still struggeling

could anyone give me their opinion or some advice

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:33 pm 

Have you thought about the lenses that you'll buy?
Tell us something about your ambitions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:58 am 
hi tombomba2,

I was thinking about buying a kit, which includes two lenses, the 14-42 + 40-150mm.

I am new to the whole DSLR scene, but I have had a point and shoot camera for qiute a while, and I would like to step up to a dslr.

I am going to be using the camera for a lot of things, travelling, outdoors, architecture, sailing events, rowing events, family friends, and what ever comes along.

as for my ambition I have recently been asked to be one of the photographers for my rowing club, which will also give me the oppertunity to learn from another photographer with a lot of experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:46 pm 
Hi Alex

I have an Olympus E510, and I would like to add a couple of comments in relation to your post:

I have also come from the P&S arena, although I used to be more involved in photography a long way back. The point here is, that with P&S (no pun intended) one is used to look at the screen to focus. In this respects, it is a bit disconcerting at first to be without it when moving onto a DSLR. The E510 has a live view mode, which is "kind of" similar to the way you shoot with a P&S. That would imply a familiarity with the way P&S works. However, bear in mind that, with an digital SLR this operation (live view) is much more cluncky that with a P&S. It is designed as an"aid" - maybe - but not as a full-time function because it doesn't work as smoothly as on a P&S. Have a look at Gordon's review of the E510 and the Canon 40D (both with live view) on this website to get a better idea how it works.

Second, as you cannot use the lcd screen in all occasions to compose your shots (like on a P&S), you will have to use the viewfinder. That learning curve - going from P&S lcd screen to viewfinder - is a bit steeper on the E510. Why? Because the view in your viewfinder - what you see - is smaller than the competition's due, partly to the 4/3 format of the Olympus. It does take a while to get used to it. Especially if you wear glasses, that is something to take into account. I found, for instance, that it was much easier for me to look through a Nikon D80 or Pentax K10D viewfinder as they are both nice and bright - especially the Nikon D80's.
You get used to it, and the Olympus has other advantages (for me, image quality, quality of lenses, image stabilisation, live view, size of kit), but it's good if you aware also of its shortcomings. it really depends what's more important to you. For me, for example, the size of the kit, how it feels in my hands, is very important. I had a Canon 40D, and, although a great kit, I didn't "connect" with it. Maybe when I'll be more experienced?...But coming from the "small is beautifull" world of P&S, I feel more at ease with the Olympus.

You also have to consider the camera together with the lens, size-wise. Some camera bodies look reasonable in the shop, with the small-ish kit lens, but add the lens you want, and that baby grows quickly in size! I find Olympus a bit more consistent in this regard, as the 4/3 format translates into smaller lenses also. Altogether, a smaller package.

Another thing you should consider, in relation to you being appointed photographer at your rowing club (congrats!). I imagine that water spray onto your photo equipment will be part and parcel of the job, and hard to avoid. You might want to consider - if you choose Olympus - to buy a superior-built Olympus lens, one that is weather-sealed. The kit lenses you mention are good optically - in fact, some of the best kit lenses you can buy, according to Gordon and others - but they're not weather-sealed. Something like the Olympus (Zuiko, really) 14-54mm like I have (and others in that range) might be better suited to your application (ie with water...).

Finally, what does your colleague - the photographer with experience - say? What does he recommend you do?

Good luck

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:26 pm 
thank you for the reply ant1,

I had a P&S with a viewfinder (an olympus :wink:) , I prefered the viewfinder over live view, so that won't be a problem, and I have had the oppertunity to have a go on my uncles dslr(EOS 350D).

the photographs which I will be taking for my club Should not involve a lot of water spray. the river that we row on has got a road parallel to it and there is about 1,5 metres between the road and the river, I will be on my bike trying to keep up with the rowers and even trying to get ahead to get a shot from one of the many bridges crossing the river.
as for the races,most of them will be held at a special 6 lane rowing venue in amsterdam.

my colleague uses a canon 40D, and likes it a lot,
He told me that I should look at budget DSLR's and especially the E-510, and the D40x. as I did not like the canon. he said that they where quite alike.
and if he had the choice he would go for the E-510.
I went to a local shop to look at them both, and I just did not like holding the D40x.

Alex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:37 am 
I'm sure you'll like the E510, if that's what you're going for. Even though I like it myself, and in order to be fair, I would like to point out three issues with it that you might want to check before you "take the plunge", so to speak. Especially, in the context of taking sporting photos:

1. The viewfinder is smaller than the competition. Make sure it is not going to be a problem for you in order to be able to see clearly an overall picture of the race.

2. Three-point autofocus "only". Is this going to be an issue when trying to focus on action?

3. 3fps continuous shooting speed. Enough for action shots?

Please don't think that I'm trying to change your mind about the E510. But I do think that these are issues to be considered within your specific needs. If you're ok with them, then, as I said earlier, you'll be very happy with the E510.

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:47 am 
A bit of an echo of what Ant1 said, the E-510 is great for almost anyone, it really doesn't matter the camera now, because the D40x and the E-510 are all great cameras (heck even the D40) it basically what types of lenses you'll be using, how much you'll be willing to shell out, and your personal feel of the camera.

Hope this helps! :D

b.t.w. have you check out Gordon's excellent and persuasive reviews?