Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:11 am 
I bought my E-3, 12-60, 50-200SWD package in March 2009. Been getting to know this gear and am still very ameteur status but making progress. Today had what seems a major problem...while taking shot during daylight hours at basic settings w/ 12-60 attached, the image in the viewfinder suddenly flared brighter, then darkened considerably. Also, the shutter seemed to lag and autofocus went haywire. Now the image is very dark through the viewfinder. No ability to take any more shots and autofocus does not work. Reset back to factory, changed battery, etc. all w/out any change. Put a 40-150 lense on and viewfinder is bright again, but very long delay in shutter when take shot and still no autofocus. Any idea what has happened to my baby?
Thanks for any responses, Ralph. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:01 am 
Wow thats very odd indeed. The only way the image in the viewfinder would change is if there is an actual change in the way the light is reflecting off the mirror... Autofocus works by sending some of the light THROUGH the mirror and down to a special sensor... so there seems to be something wrong with the mirror I guess...

Definitely call Olympus now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:56 pm 
Happened yesterday, Saturday, so no immediate contact w/ Olympus possible. I've sent in an email and hope for a response soon. Since posting yesterday, I downloaded the few images I was able to take w/ the 40-150. Interestingly, the Shutter Speed is now no shorter than 1/4 sec and the last image taken when this actually happened (12-60) was 1/125 at iso 100 and very dim though taken in bright daylight. There's definately something causing a loss of light w/in the camera and I have no clue what it is unless the sensor fried (which is my fear due to the underexposed image.) But the mirror being damaged would probably be a better thing? Sounds like it'll be out of action for a while, regardless. Hope the warranty covers this, and thanks for the reply...Ralph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:34 am 
Well, Olympus just shipped it back good as new! Bought the kit on E-Bay and was very worried wouldn't be covered but no gripes by Oly. Turns out the 12-60 aperature was replaced and the E-3 MT contact repaired. I treat my equipment very well so don't know how it happened but sure am glad it's fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:15 pm 
Can you briefly tell me how the exchange went? I also bought my E-3 on eBay and am curious how Olympus handled it. Did they ask for warranty or anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:57 pm 
Just had to provide the Paypal receipt showing I bought the new kit, along w/ copies of the warranty cards. I had to cover shipping to them (note: avoid UPS and use FedEx...the price w/ insurance is MUCH better) and they took care of everything else including fixing, cleaning, replacing my eyecup and shipping back to me. Very satisfactory experience!
Ralph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:50 am 
rwmannesq wrote:
Just had to provide the Paypal receipt showing I bought the new kit, along w/ copies of the warranty cards. I had to cover shipping to them (note: avoid UPS and use FedEx...the price w/ insurance is MUCH better) and they took care of everything else including fixing, cleaning, replacing my eyecup and shipping back to me. Very satisfactory experience!
Ralph

Oh, well I bought mine used so I guess I'm SOL if theres a problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:39 am 
They also provide a free quote for any repairs and E-3's are expedited, if that ever becomes an issue. I haven't heard of any problems before and here I am w/ both the lense and camera having some issues. Weird.
Ralph