Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:17 pm 
Hi

As the title says...When I power ON, the little blue light next to the dial flashes, meaning sensor cleaning. That part is ok.

However, when I switch off the camera, the lens returns to infinity setting ( because I set it up like that in one of the menus) and then shudders - vibrates - for about one second before switching off. Initially I thought it was sensor cleaning too, but I'm not so sure now...Is this normal?...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:06 pm 
I found something on the net about it..Apparently, it's normal:

"Turning the camera off with the IS enabled, you will hear a sound with a camera shaking slightly with what seems like a 5 Hz frequency. This may sound alarming, but it is a normal behavior; Olympus must have needed it for some undisclosed purpose."

The vibration does indeed disappear if you switch off the camera with IS "OFF", and will vibrate if you switch it off with the IS "ON". Weird, but hey...maybe that's how they get their reputation for good dust reduction...:lol:

Link: http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e510-rev.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:45 pm 
Well I have Is enabled aswell and it does not SHAKE on power down!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys, see the fourth paragraph on this page of my E-510 review:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... hake.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:25 am 
Shame on me...Thanks Gordon! That'll teach me to skim the writing on tech and jump straight into "the good juice": the comparison photos and, of course, the video. In other words, "ok, it's got this and that features...But what do you (i.e. you, the reviewer) think of the camera, what's the lowdown?" Patience, little Padwan, patience... :oops:

However, Gordon, do you think that's normal? In other words, why don't other cameras with built-in IS shudder as well when powering down? Do you think it's a kind of an after-effect of building IS into the camera that Olympus didn't bother fixing, maybe because it does not matter?...Or is there some logic to it? (shake that dust, baby, shake it good! :lol: )

And, why doesn't Wonda Boy's shake as well, as per his post above? I'm not implying that you should have the answer, of course, but I'm curious, though.

Thanks again

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:50 am 
Ok, I got a reply from Olympus Australia about the shaking on power-off:

"This vibration is the gyro-sensor slowing down and re-setting, so there is nothing to worry about." Word! All's well, then. Still...Wonda Boy?...

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

The thing which confused me is I can accept the shudder being the system resetting as it shuts down, but how come it doesn't do it when you switch the IS off in the camera?