Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:59 am 
Hi

I installed Olympus Master 2 Software on my Mac running the latest 10.5 Leopard OS. I don't really need Master 2, only for updating the firmware on my E510 and associated lens (14-54mm).

However, each time I try to update either the Master 2 program itself, or when I try to access the "Update Camera" option, I get the same message:
"To use this function, administrator privileges are required. Log on as an administrator"

But I am the administrator on my Mac account (used to log in on the computer) . I don't think I can be any more administrator than I already am!

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:18 pm 
same problem for me...cant perform update :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:25 pm 
With any Mac updates that require changes to the the OS or the Library then you're always prompted for the administrator password, even if you're logged in as the admin.

Is this what you mean? Are you actually given a prompt to enter the admin password at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:40 pm 
no prompt to enter password, its just shows message telling that i need admin privileges to perform update. i tried to launch it in terminal with sudo open... no help keeps telling it needs admin :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:49 pm 
Have you tried restoring permissions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:53 pm 
yes no help...
i will try to reinstall it today after keychain update, lets hope that helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:50 pm 
I did find a fix for it: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?sto ... 9115946669

although I did not try it because I have troubles logging in as single user (Apple-Command +S on start-up), which is needed to perform the suggested operation. Basically, I think it's an issue related to upgrading as an "early adopter" to the new Apple OS (Leopard). I kinda expected issues like that, but as long as I could use those apps that I REALLY need (Word and Endnote) I was prepared to upgrade. As a MAc enthusiast, I just had to!...:roll:
Fixes will come up soon (I hope), but for the moment, I'm going to stay put and wait a while. My Oly works fine. Of course, I always want to have the latest firmware upgrade, but the new Mac Os issues trump all this for the moment.

Shakalys: If you can log in as a single user (I'm assuming you're running a MAc with Leopard too? Yes?) you could try the suggested fix in the link I provided.

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:39 pm 
I have admin privileges on my account. but i tied your link
i enabled root and logged in as root.... no help same problem..

and you can enable root not using single user mode ..
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106290

ok i found something... open info of olympus master 2... at bottom user list with permissions ....i have user (unknown) (on other app admin user is instead of unknown) and if i try to add another user my finder crashes... so i need to remove that unknown user and add admin not using finder .. anyone could help ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:59 am 
shakalys wrote:
...and if i try to add another user my finder crashes... so i need to remove that unknown user and add admin not using finder .. anyone could help ?

Same thing here...I actually went through the Terminal commands I posted earlier - see above - and, nothing... I actually do think that I have Admin rights on my computer, otherwise I couldn't do anything on it without being constantly asked for Admin password - which I am not being asked. It leads me to believe that there is some incompatibility with the Olympus Master 2 software, for no other reason that it crashes when I try to delete that "unknown" access (on "info" of Master 2), or try to add another user (hoping that I could add another Admin).
I did send an email to Olympus about that, and the answer was that it had to do with the Apple new OS, not an Olympus software issue. I was suggested to take the issue up with Apple...Fat chance of that happening...
So, as I see it, there's going to be a while until some Apple OS revision fixes that problem, and I can't imagine Olympus taking care of that soon either. I don't actually use Master 2 software, I only need it to upgrade the firmware on my E510 from 1.0 to 1.1. It's not that big of an issue, since 1.1 doesn't add any earth-shattering features, but, nevertheless, it's not good enough, since I expect to be able to have the latest updates on my equipment, if that's what I want.
The only three practical solutions I see a the moment are these:
1. Update the firmware via Windows, meaning a well-intentioned friend that might accept installing momentarily the software on his PC so that you can perform the firmware upgrade (unlikely, as many PC owners are really skeptical of "messing-up" with their OS...).
2. Try to see whether the shop where you bought the camera can do this for you. Not a practical solution since servicing means sending the camera to Olympus: ZZzzzzz....
3. Wait until Apple releases some software update that addresses the Admin issue. Talking about that, I seem to remember reading that only those who performed and UPGRADE from 10.4.10 --> 10.5 (Leopard) are affected. In other words, if you installed Leopard by doing a CLEAN INSTALL, the problem is not present. Can anybody confirm this?...

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:37 am 
im having this problem on clean install... i played with terminal and removed that unknown and added admin account... no help...
So i tried to install again Olympus master and it gets installed with wrong premissions and users again... problem is that in leopard something is changed in permission, and olympus soft is not using new scheme, but all others app have no problem. I think its olympus software bug.

links how to remove unknown :
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread. ... permission

and in that post where is link to apple : http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... ID=5670342
and i used some info from apple site on how to add/remove privileges..cant find link now..search for it in google

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:41 am 
shakalys, I saw your post in Apple forums. No luck. heh?...Me neither. I tried re-starting from the Apple install disk and re-setting the password. I cheated a bit, though, because I changed it to a new password first, then re-changed it back to what it was. That should have made no difference, though. The only caveat is that, apparently, there is an issue with passwords that are 8 or more characters in length, and mine is 8 characters.

I just couldn't be bothered at the moment changing too many things, in fear that I might disrupt what is for the moment a stable Leopard OS for me (I need stability for my uni programs). It seems like a lot of trouble just to run Master 2. If Olympus brought out a critical firmware update, then yes, might be worth it to pursue it now. So I think I'll wait for a while, at least until either I finish my exams and I can afford to risk un-stability, or a program called Super Duper! brings out the Leopard update. That would allow me to clone my internal HD to an external F/W HD - including the ability to boot from it - and use it if something goes astray with my main HD.

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:44 am 
So in http://e-group.uk.net forums i found that olympus master is updated (v 2.05) and it says it fixes update bug...
i will try it as soon as posible

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/ ... pdates.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:06 pm 
I've got the same problems with my e510 on my Leopard macbook pro, and I seem to remember not being able to update the firmware on my e400 when I had Tiger and the previous version of Master. I tried to update the new version of master, but the only way I can see to do that is through the program itself, and that's when it says I don't have the rights! Good job i've got a windows box as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:09 pm 
you need to download 2.05 manual from olympus page as you can't update through master app..
Go to olympus page and to Software and you will find that 2.05 is seperate download, but you need to be registered on oly page i think

try direct link maybe it works
http://contentace2.olympus-europa.com/en/consumer/download/file.html?RGlxXkQhY3PCtHNqXjBBRjE=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:39 pm 
Aha! Nice one :D