Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:33 am 
http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3991

Sadly the 4/5 series is now apparently discontinued. Once again, NO VIDEO, but it's quite understandable that they wouldn't put the truepic v inside the new entry level body. we'll see what happens with the next flagship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:11 am 
thanks, I never been a fan of E-4XX series because they don't have IS.
but E-600 is quite interesting, it is almost identical with E-620 but $100 cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:48 am 

The original link wasn't working just now so, while we wait for the Olympus web-sites to catch up, here's a link to the CNET Asia announcement, complete with a picture.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:31 am 

Why bother with this camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:49 pm 
Finally Olympus cleans up their camera line-up. Its understandable that they would axe the 400/500 series in favor of this, I was surprised they hadn't already.

They still need a camera between the 620 and the 30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:59 pm 
I've always been curious as to why the likes of Olympus and Pentax have never released a full frame DSLR (or have they? I've certainly never seen one). Is there any reason for this? The size of the 4/3rds sensor means it's never going to have the quality of the cameras in a similar price point unless the conditions are favourable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:40 pm 
Welly wrote:
I've always been curious as to why the likes of Olympus and Pentax have never released a full frame DSLR (or have they? I've certainly never seen one). Is there any reason for this? The size of the 4/3rds sensor means it's never going to have the quality of the cameras in a similar price point unless the conditions are favourable.

Thats a pretty silly comment to make.
First of all there can be no full frame 4/3 because the lenses are all specifically designed for the 4/3 sized sensor.
And olympus image quality is up there with the best of them, I have no idea what you're talking about. The E-620 is winning awards for best camera in it's segment left and right, pick up any magazine.

oh and IIRC Pentax is working on a MF camera right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:26 pm 
It's not a silly comment to make. As I said, "The size of the 4/3rds sensor means it's never going to have the quality of the cameras in a similar price point unless the conditions are favourable." - a sensor as small as the 4/3rd sensor is never going to be a good low light sensor, as all the reviews always point out, including our Gordon - "If you regularly shoot above 400 ISO and demand low noise, then there’s better choices out there, particularly the Nikon D5000"

I just find it bizarre that Olympus, who have been in the game for a long time, haven't brought out a full frame camera to make use of those OM system lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:40 pm 
Welly wrote:

-a sensor as small as the 4/3rd sensor is never going to be a good low light sensor

thats just one aspect...

Besides, the amount of noise the images exhibit is more about pixel density than the size of the sensor. Competing in the MP war forced Olympus to push the pixel density of the sensor and thus resulted in more noise. However now Olympus has went on record saying they don't believe that any more than 12mp is necessary and thus will work on refining the sensor further.

Also, I'm satisfied with the low light performance of my E-3. Its a lot better than many APS-C sensor cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:08 pm 
Olympus focuses on size and weight. That is their core strategy Look at the micro four third system olympus PEN E-P1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:07 pm 
Atomic wrote:
Finally Olympus cleans up their camera line-up. Its understandable that they would axe the 400/500 series in favor of this, I was surprised they hadn't already.

They still need a camera between the 620 and the 30

I don't see the need for an infill model. The feature set of the E620 matches well to the D5000 and T1i and the E-30 fills a similar niche to the D90 and 50D. All that's lacking in both cases is video, which to me is a frill if weakly executed (i.e., Canikons).

What I don't get is taking the trouble to strip off a few likely inexpensive features just to artificially create a new "entry model". I have to wonder if it didn't cost Oly more to set up a seperate production line than to just drop the E620 price and trounce the T1i and D5000.

Seems a misguided appropriation of resources. Much prefer they had instead upgraded the E-30 with weather sealing, higher res LCD, TruePicV processor and backlit buttons (nice idea for low-light).

Then there's the E-3 which seems all but forgotten. Has Oly simply abandoned the challenge of a competitive enthusiast/pro model altogether? My guess they're instead working overtime filling the E-Px line out.

Since the E-P1 sans viewfinder, flash, auto assist light, etc. simply has to be cheaper to manufacture (at least once R&D costs are paid off) than 4/3's which have these features while selling for less (E-6xx), new E-Px model prices should only get more competitive.

And given they'll now be selling lenses for both 4/3 and M4/3, which is where much of the money is, I can't argue with this part of their marketing strategy.

Should be an interesting 6-12 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:15 pm 
Actually you're quite right... It probably would have been in their best interest to just drop the E-620 in price instead of developing a watered down variant. It seems the only PHYSICAL omission in the E-600 is the lighted buttons, which couldn't be saving them much money to not produce. The rest of the changes seem to be just within the programming. I dont know who would be willing to pay another 100 dollars for bracketing, art filters, and lighted buttons...

As far as an in-between model... maybe you're right, the E-620 has a strong feature set. I'm still rather confused by the E-30 though, because its too close to the E-3. And no, the E-3 is not forgotten. Its a very capable camera and for its purpose, it does not need to be refreshed with gimmicky features like CD-AF and art filters.

What no one has mentioned yet is "whats up with the E-450?"
It was released just months ago, and now its axed?

I think Olympus should release an E-650 with video and trupicV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:33 pm 
Quote:
What no one has mentioned yet is "whats up with the E-450?"
It was released just months ago, and now its axed?

I guess so. I think it hasn't been produced in mass quantity. They might produce some and tested it on the market. Maybe it failed and they decided not to do anything more to it.

btw, the whole thing about micro four thirds are crazy right now. If they can improve the AF to equivalent to the SLR cameras and develop a professional grade body, there is a possibility that Olympus might abandon their 4/3 system. I don't think that 4/3 system is needed at that point.

However, they might keep it alive with small improvement on the models, just to keep/slowing down 4/3 system user from switching to another system.

What do you think about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:32 am 
Enche Zein wrote:
btw, the whole thing about micro four thirds are crazy right now. If they can improve the AF to equivalent to the SLR cameras and develop a professional grade body, there is a possibility that Olympus might abandon their 4/3 system. I don't think that 4/3 system is needed at that point.

However, they might keep it alive with small improvement on the models, just to keep/slowing down 4/3 system user from switching to another system.

What do you think about this?

I highly doubt it. I could never replace a proper SLR with m4/3 no matter how well they refine it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm 
E600? What's up with that? The E620 is already an entry level SLR, in my opinion. How about focusing on the successor for the E3? Hopefully, the E600's sensor is less noisy than the E620, and hopefully it also yields sharper images. Will definitely miss the 5xx series. RIP.