Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: live view
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:36 am 
hello I am new to this forum, as well as digital photography. (previously all my work was 35mm and larger ) I have just invested in an Olympus E3 which I find really beautiful, however when viewing Gordon's video on the camera he describes a way of using the AEL/AFL button to capture an image on live view , select a portion of it enlarge it, re focus it manually, etc. prior to taking the image . My problem is the image doesn't remain frozen in the live view to permit me to do this . Obviously I have a setting or two wrong so if someone could help me it would be appreciated as I think this would be a godsend for macro or closeup photography many thanks for the oportunity ...Cheers'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:48 am 
Do you mean that the image is too shaky? Theres nothing that can be done about that, this feature is mostly useful for tripod work I guess. If you're shooting handheld, IMO the best results are from using the viewfinder. Live View has its usefulness, but not as a replacement for the old fashioned eye-to-camera method.

Post subject: Thanks for your reply
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:30 am 
Thanks for your reply and yes I agree that viewing the subject in the viewfinder is far the best but perhaps when you have time, if you could look at this video you'll see what I mean http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... view.shtml Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 am 
I think you may be confusing whats going on. Using the AEL/AFL button, the camera will flip the mirror down to focus, and flip it back up again after it finds focus.

The "freezing" Gordon mentions is the image being displayed on the screen while the mirror flipped up. It wasnt actually a live image, but just the last image the sensor saw... This is probably to reassure the user that the camera did not shut off.

After the mirror flips back down [usually right away if it finds focus] the image on the screen will again become dynamic and if the camera is moving, the image will be as well.

Gordon then presses the "info" button to select the green square, and when you click the "ok" button that square's area will be magnified. HOWEVER, if the camera is handheld, you will see a lot of camera shake under such a magnified view, and as such, you will have a hard time manual focusing with this method.

Post subject: Great
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:25 am 
Thanks Atomic that is brilliant I Must of misunderstood it as I thought Gordon was saying that the image would remain on "live view" until I had composed it to my satisfaction. Obviously not. This is a fantastic MB