Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:35 pm 
Hi,
I'm new to olympus forum and sorry about asking this kind of question as my first post here.

I was looking for a DSLR that's well built and preferably splashproof so I came across olympus E-3. But it is just out of my budget range.
Then I found E-1. It's old but it seems well built and is a lot cheaper than E-3 too.
I found this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-E-1-w-HLD-2-BATT-GRIP_W0QQitemZ280379833821QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item4147f0bddd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I don't know anything about this particular camera, so any specific things that I should be careful of?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:00 pm 
Sorry man, I can't recommend getting such an old camera. Even for it's time, the E-1 wasn't the cream of the crop as far as cameras go, and by today's standards... well lets put it this way, the cheapest Olympus camera on the market right now [The E-4X0 series] will outperform it in every specification.

If weather sealed body is the only thing you are after, consider Pentax. Their entry level bodies and even lenses are now all weather sealed. They also have a loyal fan base like Olympus does and im sure if you ask, they will be more than happy to answer any questions for you and help you decide which camera is right for you.

That said, if you can find a way to swing the price tag of the E-3 [maybe wait another month or two for when the replacement is anounced and prices drop] then you will be VERY happy with it. I love mine.

And if you decide that weather sealing is not the most important thing in the world for you, some of the lower models are a GREAT value right now. An E-510 if you can find it is a great camera for super cheap.