Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: flash for e520
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:50 pm 
Hi im looking at getting a flash for my e520. Im looking at the Metz 48 AF-1 and the FL-36-R. Any views? Is the wireless function of the FL-36-R worth the extra money? I mainly take pictures of my family and friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 pm 
Hi,

While both flashes are great for day to day use, should you require more power for your flash or a faster recycle time (time it takes to be ready to fire again), i would recommend going with the metz 48. i believe the metz also has the ability to be controlled wireless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:42 am 
Having used both the FL-36 and the Metz 48, I strongly recommend the Metz. Its just a bit more expensive but its far more useful. Faster recycle time, more exposures/charge, greater range...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:07 pm 
I have yet to hear bad things about the Metz 48 -- and it's the one on my wish list for sure. And yes -- it does do wireless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:31 pm 
jwnrw wrote:
I have yet to hear bad things about the Metz 48 -- and it's the one on my wish list for sure. And yes -- it does do wireless.

There are cons of course. Its a lot bigger and heavier than the FL-36. It also requires 4 batteries instead of 2, so is you divide the amount of shots you can take by the amount of batteries you used, the FL-36 gives you more shots/battery.

But you can't argue with performance. The faster recycle time was what won me over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:56 pm 
I'm getting a new external flash but I need it a bit powerful what do you suggest? Olympus FL-50R Electronic Flash or Metz mecablitz 58 AF-1 TTL??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:23 pm 
zazu wrote:
I'm getting a new external flash but I need it a bit powerful what do you suggest? Olympus FL-50R Electronic Flash or Metz mecablitz 58 AF-1 TTL??

I use the Metz 58 and it works great to me. Either flash will be great, I've heard different stories from different users as to which is more powerful. As I haven't used the FL50R, all I can tell you is that the Metz 58 works great for me. Here's a couple of shots with the Metz attached to the E-3. I used a LumiQuest Mini Softbox.