Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, just a quick note to let you know we have produced a news analysis on the new Olympus E-3 DSLR here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_E-3/

So what do you all think - is the E-3 a real contender for rival semi-pro DSLRs like the Canon EOS 40D, Sony A700 and Nikon D300?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:00 am 
Hi,

I am new here, and I am in the marked for my first ever DSLR, after a few years pause, and before that 15 years with Canon FD gear.
I have in the moment a weak spot for the relatively compact Olympus 4/3-format. With the E-410/510 Olympus seems to continue their niche with compact gear from the their OM days.

No doubt about, that the E3 is an excellent camera. But I am slightly disappointed that the E3 is as big and heavy as the Nikon D300. It is even slightly bigger, and much more expensive than Canon 40D - so it is facing a tough time, I guess.
I had hoped for an E510 in a weather sealed magnesium body, 9-11 focusing points, optional battery compartment/handle for the bottom of the camera (and maybe 5 fps, but not so important for me).
But appearently Olympus aimed higher, with a direct confrontation with Canikon´s top-notch gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:18 am 

Hi AndersDK,

A warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

Gordon's preview of the E3 makes interesting reading doesn't it? I guess you fall into that happy category of purchasers who don't have an existing investment in lenses to drive your decision as, unfortunately and as I am sure you know, your old Canon FD lenses aren't compatible with EOS camera bodies. Let us know how you get on.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: E3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:08 pm 
5 stop in-camera IS? Holy #@*! Batman, that is quite a claim. This is a great comparison Gordon. I was surprised to see that Olympus left out the contrast based auto focus, what an oversight (score one for Panasonic). However, It looks like a "real" camera (not just a wanabe like the 410/510). I hope you have a complete review coming soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:43 pm 
Is the IS system on the E-3 the same as the E-510? If so, does the E-510 provide 5 EV steps as claimed on the E-3?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:56 pm 
According to this article Thomas presented earlier, the E510 only offers less than 3 stops of control.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4615/im ... page2.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:49 pm 
In-camera shake/vibration reduction lacks one feature I really like: the ability to actually see said reduction through the viewfinder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:38 pm 
It seems that the E-3 is using a gyroscopic stabilizer in addition to the regular one.

http://www.myfourthirds.com/document.php?id=39277

Please let me know if there is any objection to referring to other photo sites.

Addition---

I was just thinking how welcome the larger viewfinder is going to be for Olympus owners. One of the complaints around 410/510 models was the small viewfinders. With the E-3, you might be able to manual focus all those inexpensive OM lenses.

Last edited by BrianS on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:49 pm 

Cheapest one on offer in Germany is 1700EUR vs 1620EUR for Nikon D300

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

The 100% viewfinder will be nice as you have to pay a lot for one of those from Canon or Nikon, but as Luis says, you won't see the effect of stabilisation through it.

BTW, Olympus claimed 2-4 stops of compensation for the E-510, so either the new system has improved, or they've redefined their estimations...

The flip out screen is nice, but you can get that on the cheaper Panasonic L10 - and contrast based AF too in Live View...

I do like the look of the E-3, but it's a tough sell at that price. As I said, you could buy a 40D or an A700 with a lens, or a D300 body for about the same money and they're tough competition. Which would you buy?

But then what was Olympus to do? Produce a cheaper model with less pro features, or go higher still and aim against the Canon 1Ds and Nikon D3s of this world?

I'm very much looking forward to testing it - it'll be interesting to see if we get one before the D300! I think we're looking at December though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:48 pm 
Gordon thanks for the information. For me who have invested in 4/3, E3 is a new breath though expensive, but please also test the 12-60mm lens that is very important for many who are having the 14-54mm I guess.

I also like the VF magnification, and hope this is as bright as advertised!

I really hope that they drop the price shortly otherwise many won't have it :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:24 am 

First of all it looks like the E-3 is a great camera .. Secondly it looks like they have a great set of optics to match .. the 14-35mm F2.0 SWD looks truly awesome If its performances matches the $1000 price tag that should be capable of delivering spectacular images. Bravo Olympus!

The claim of 4 – 5 stops improvement is only a small part of the stabilization equation. It isn’t clear how such specifications were derived. What frequencies and which planes were measured? It does seem Olympus has improved their stabilization system from what was available with the E510. It would also be of interest to know if the correction is applied only to the x-y plane or if the new system operates in 3 axes as the Pentax system. I reluctantly am critical of the pop photo article as usual they lack depth and have not clearly defined the test criteria to determine performance. The “stops” units comparison of stabilization really does not tell the whole story. One system may perform far better than another within a particular frequency range or may perform better at correcting movement in a particular plane. Really when thinking of film days its hard to remember a blurred hand held shot at shutter speeds of 1/250 or faster. There is the old trick of shooting several exposures with the motor drive to find at least one of the series very sharp even while hand held. This same method works well for digital only without the expense of burning a dozen frames of film for the shot. I would be interested in seeing this tested
i.e.
Case 1: image stabilization on, slow shutter say 1/8 sec, hand held, 1 frame.
Case 2: image stabilization off, slow shutter, hand held. Burst 10 frames and compare the best to the image stabilized frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:39 am 
For anyone concerned about dust & water it is good to notice that not only body is weather-sealed - same goes for all ZD Pro and Top Pro lenses. That's not something that either C or N could claim.
Though body, pretty nice AF, solid IS, cinema-like viewfinder and few decent ZD to mount. Only thing I could miss there is Canon CMOS inside, so probably (as in E-410/E-510) one shouldn't go over ISO 800 if doesn't want too much noise. Except of that seems to be a great camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:40 pm 

It seems to be a great camera, but the Canon D40 is priced really competitively (1099 euro) compared to the E3 (1549 euro).
The Nikon D300 is too expensive (1949 euro) according to me. It doesn't really offer anything more then the E3 or the D40.

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:11 am 

Nikon D300 body is almost down to 1600EUR (incl. 19% you-know-VAT). so both bodies (E-3 vs. D300) are comparatively priced.