Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Legacy lenses
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:37 am 
I just found a Zenit camera in my father's dresser, with a 58mm F2.0 lens M42 mount. I ordered an adapter for it, but it wont be here for a little while.

Question: How will metering work with a lens combo like this. I know people here have used OM lenses on their E series cameras, how does the camera know which aperture to meter for? Can you set the F number manually?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:30 pm 
No one here has used an adapter with legacy lenses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:39 pm 

If it helps I've only used a fully manual lens on the E-510. I think I only used it in M mode. It will just look at whatever light it gets since it doesn't know anything about what's outside.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:49 am 
Oh ok, right! Im stupid. Even if I focus with the lens wide open, when I stop it down to the aperture I want, the camera will adjust the exposure value anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:46 am 
So Im still waiting for the M42-4/3 adapter to come in from China [and will be for at least another week] but in this time I've ruined a 55mm 1.7 and ordered a 55mm 1.4 from eBay.

That last order was a bit of an impulse thing but I got an excellent deal on it, just under 40 dollars shipped. It effectively makes the 58mm F2.0 lens useless to me now, even though that was the lens I originally ordered the M42 adapter for in the first place!

I'm still watching an auction that ends on sunday for a 28mm F2 which I want more than any of the other lenses just because its a much more usable focal length for me.

In this downtime, I've been experimenting with film using the Zenit ET camera. Its been a very good learning experience. It only has FOUR exposure settings [60, 120, 250, 500] and of course im stuck with whatever ISO film Im using. And metering is via an external selenium meter and manual dials.

Oh, and in the basement of my girlfriend's grandmother's house, I found an original Nikon F
as well as a Nikon FM, but more importantly I found a 28-200 F3.5 Macro Nikon lens to go with it. This equipment is useless to her, so I think Ill be able to get it. I know a lot of people will be jealous of that Nikon though, but I only have use for the lens ;p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:47 am 

Atomic wrote:
No one here has used an adapter with legacy lenses?

I've used some C/Y fit Zeiss lenses on my E-3, mostly a 300mm f4.