Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: E3 Peek
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:02 am 
Everyone here seems ok with links to other sites so I thought I'd offer this on the E3 (formerly the P1).

http://www.dphotojournal.com/olympus-e-3-rumor/

Not much info, just pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

I'd expect some real info real, real soon! The announcement is of course today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:12 pm 
Looks like a serious piece of kit but I think I would prefer the D300, have not seen any specs all the same but I take its still using the 4:3 system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:53 pm 
The Zuiko 70-300 lens is supposed to be coming out too. Tomorrow should be a big Olympus day.

Post subject: A few more E-3 Details
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:33 pm 

here is a hands on preview of the Olympus E-3 albeit from the competition..

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E3/E3A.HTM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:12 am 
Nice, Very nice. Would have taught it would be a bigger MP to match the D300 with the 12 MP sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:28 pm 
I think that the in-camera IS might be the key factor in the success of this camera. If it's as good as they claim, many less expensive lenses would become image stabilized, at last. After comparing the E510s in-body IS to Nikon's in-lens IS, there's no comparison: the E510 IS just doesn't work. :roll: If the E3 could out perform Nikon IS (don't know about Canon) it would be a major selling point, in my opinion. As far as pixel count goes, many seem to be opting for lower noise at high ISOs instead. A low noise 8mp or 10mp low noise chip is better for many. Only samples will tell if the E3 can deliver on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:17 pm 

BrianS wrote:
many less expensive lenses

Problem with Olympus is that their best lenses are not inexpensive. So you get (perhaps) super-stabilization with the new body, but still have to invest quite a bit in good lenses :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:03 am 
Quote:
As far as pixel count goes, many seem to be opting for lower noise at high ISOs instead. A low noise 8mp or 10mp low noise chip is better for many.

are you suggesting that the higher pixel count camera's (over 10 mp) are beginning to show high noise levels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:16 am 

$1,600 bucks USD for the body alone. That's so lame. If it were a city, it'd be called, Lameville. Had rent and monthly bills gone up 700.00 a month, it wouldn't be a problem. Ouchie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:45 am 
Higher pixel count does not always equate to more noise, but noise has been a problem with large pixes count sensors.

Thomas, I simply meant that you would not have to pay the extra $300, or so, for having IS in the lens. And yes, Zuiko lenses are disgustingly expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:12 pm 

Right, sensors improve, but more pixels in general still mean more noise as well. Look at the Canon 30D (8 MP) compared to the Nikon D200 (10 MP) where the D200 shows more noise. Now there is the new 40D, which is as clean as the 30D. Probably the D300 will show a little more noise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:52 pm 
E3 samples from Klaus at Photozone:

http://marcof.smugmug.com/gallery/3669826#P-1-15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:07 pm 
The IS on the OLYMPUS E 510 does WORK, maybe not as effective as lens based IS but to say it does not work is INCORRECT and very misleading...In fact the review of the 510 on this very forum shows the IS working!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:41 pm 

Very good catch Brian!
All photos are at ISO 100, only one at ISO 1600 :cry: