Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:33 am 
Its a bit of a learning curve. Going from E-500 to 510 took no time to get adjusted, but the E3 takes a lot of getting used to. The viewfinder is indeed awesome. I did a little back to back and the difference is AMAZING.

and indeed, the focus is quicker [though not incredibly] with my 12-60. Also more accurate, there were a few instances where the 12-60 had difficulty focusing when mounted on the 510, and I recreated them with my E3. It still struggled a tad at first but in the end locked on 100% of the time [better than the 50% with the 510] and much quicker too.

There are some things that bug me, the arrows no longer have WB, ISO, Metering, and AF [I think] assigned to them like they did on the 510. This means a lot of "extra" buttons thrown around the body almost randomly. I feel that there was NO logic used with these buttons, but I've already grown used to most of them, still I often have to bring my camera down to make adjustments.

Im a little disappointed also that having two scroll wheels isnt as awesome as I imagined, but I dont really know why I imagined it would be so great. I guess only having one made me envious.

The HLD-4 Grip? Eh I dont know if Ill keep it, I may sell it. It doesnt seem that its THAT much more comfortable shooting with the grip compared to tilting my hand. And its very thick and cumbersome, heavy too. And I'd prefer it had a shutter release on either end like the OWNusers had on the 510 models.

But enough of the gripes... The performance is stellar. I do not fear going into ISO800 anymore, or even 1600 if I have to for that matter. I also like that it can bracket. I can do HDR photos without a tripod using bracketing and the 5fps shutter rate.

I have yet to try out the weather sealing, I got the camera used and the cable sync port cover is missing, [little screw] so I dont want to risk it. Ill order another and get back to you guys :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:31 am 
How about the sharpness of the images? As sharp as the 510? One thing that bothered me about the 420/520/620/30 images, is the softer image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:06 am 
Im satisfied with the sharpness, I dont think its less sharp, but I havent really looked too closely at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:34 am 
there definitely is a learning curve with the e-3. i would've preferred to have the arrow keys lead directly to certain settings, but i really do enjoy being able to switch focus points without having to move my eye away from the viewfinder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:38 am 
idavis wrote:
there definitely is a learning curve with the e-3. i would've preferred to have the arrow keys lead directly to certain settings, but i really do enjoy being able to switch focus points without having to move my eye away from the viewfinder.

That function wasn't even possible until the latest firmware update last month IIRC. So for over a year, the arrow keys served no function other than navigation in the "super menu" or whatever marketing they have for it.

Every other button on the camera has double, even triple functions at times, the arrows could have easily had secondary functions as ISO and WB to clean up the confusion up top near the shutter. That area is a MESS! Imagine just one large EV button in place of the three that are up there.

Oh well, the performance is far more important than minor comfort issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:35 am 
Atomic wrote:
idavis wrote:

That function wasn't even possible until the latest firmware update last month IIRC. So for over a year, the arrow keys served no function other than navigation in the "super menu" or whatever marketing they have for it.

Every other button on the camera has double, even triple functions at times, the arrows could have easily had secondary functions as ISO and WB to clean up the confusion up top near the shutter. That area is a MESS! Imagine just one large EV button in place of the three that are up there.

Oh well, the performance is far more important than minor comfort issues.

I hate the metering button the most, i always end up just going through the SUPER CONTROL PANEL (!!!!!) to use it...that really is the only button i have issues with.

update: finally realized you have to hold the button AND turn the finger dial. now that i've finally taken the time to learn all the buttons, i'll see how quick i can access them during a real shoot on friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:10 am 

idavis wrote:
update: finally realized you have to hold the button AND turn the finger dial. now that i've finally taken the time to learn all the buttons, i'll see how quick i can access them during a real shoot on friday.

I have read that you can make the buttons sticky. After that you can push a button and turn the dial after wards (within limited time of course). Maybe that's easier.

Indeed, why they don't use the arrow buttons like on the E500/510/520/620 is beyond me...... :?

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:54 pm 
idavis wrote:
I hate the metering button the most, i always end up just going through the SUPER CONTROL PANEL (!!!!!) to use it...that really is the only button i have issues with.

I must say, the super control panel thing is VERY useful. Its amazing that Olympus was the first to think of it, but now theyre on just about every modern camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 pm 
Oh hey, iDavis try this. In button/dial menu [wrench1-wrenchB] "button timer" lets you click WB for instance and it will stick for your desired length of time [from 3 seconds, to infinity]

Much more convenient I thnk than holding and turning dial. Also now you can navigate it with the arrows too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:25 am 
Hehe, never a good idea to do a job with a new camera, but somehow, you get that to work as well.

Took me about one day getting used to the E-3, and up to this day, it's been soaking wet, full of dust, it's been clunked, banged and thrown around.

It could be a wee bit better on high ISO, especially regarding banding at 1600 and above (if the motive is evenly lighted and exposed correctly, ISO1600 is not a problem for most uses).

The HLD-4 grip is not as good as that of the Nikon D300, but I have to say, you will get used to it, and then you won't like to live without it.

Shooting press conferences and sports with the 50-200 really is crap when you haven't got a vertical grip, and shooting lots of vertical portraits can get tireing without one. So I'd really keep it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:18 am 
Ill keep that in mind. My next purchase I think will be the Sigma 70-200 [or 50-200 if I can score a lucky eBay deal or something]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:31 pm 
nomix wrote:
Hehe, never a good idea to do a job with a new camera, but somehow, you get that to work as well.

Took me about one day getting used to the E-3, and up to this day, it's been soaking wet, full of dust, it's been clunked, banged and thrown around.

It could be a wee bit better on high ISO, especially regarding banding at 1600 and above (if the motive is evenly lighted and exposed correctly, ISO1600 is not a problem for most uses).

The HLD-4 grip is not as good as that of the Nikon D300, but I have to say, you will get used to it, and then you won't like to live without it.

Shooting press conferences and sports with the 50-200 really is crap when you haven't got a vertical grip, and shooting lots of vertical portraits can get tireing without one. So I'd really keep it. :)

so far the hld-4 is alright with me. i like the ownuser much more on the 520, but the hld-4 is working fine. i've used the e-3 for one photo shoot before i got the hld-4, now today i'll see how the hld-4 works as i'll be doing some photos at a job event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:54 pm 
anyone know if the 12-60mm is still weather sealed while zooming? like if theres water on the barrel when you zoom in, and you zoom out, that water is going in isnt it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:29 pm 
Atomic wrote:
anyone know if the 12-60mm is still weather sealed while zooming? like if theres water on the barrel when you zoom in, and you zoom out, that water is going in isnt it?

from what i'm told the 12-60 is weather sealed while zooming. i've seen some images of somebody shooting under a waterfall while zooming in with the 12-60.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:24 am 
Gosh I LOVE THIS CAMERA!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25906258@N06/

A lot of those shots would have been downright impossible without live view and articulating screen. This feature is so much more useful than I once thought.