Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thanks A Lot!
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:14 pm 
Thanks so much for all of your help! I'm going to B&H tomorrow, where I can play around with both cameras before I actually purchase one. Seeing that both have their strengths and limitations, I'm going to choose the one that feels best to use. Again, thanks for everything!

Post subject: Re: Thanks A Lot!
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:02 am 
lsmaverick15 wrote:
Thanks so much for all of your help! I'm going to B&H tomorrow, where I can play around with both cameras before I actually purchase one. Seeing that both have their strengths and limitations, I'm going to choose the one that feels best to use. Again, thanks for everything!

If you're buying new, the E-30 will be considerably cheaper and will most likely be the way to go.

But if you don't mind getting a slightly used model, you can pick up an E-3 for 900 or even less on eBay for a demo body. Usually less than 1000 shutter actuations and perfect conditions, with warranty and all the associated parts and cables all new.

The E-3 is built like a tank so getting it second hand is pretty safe I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:12 am 
I did my own high ISO test earlier today. ISO3200 indeed has slight banding but its only noticeable on a flat colored surface. If you're taking pictures of a lot of things going on, it won't be noticeable.
The biggest problem though is the colorshift going into ISO3200.

However, ISO2500 does not have the shift and has no noticeable banding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:38 pm 
Atomic wrote:

Its not as simple as that, E3 also has:
-Better viewfinder [100% 1.15x vs 98% 1.02x]
-Better construction
-More professional ports

And don't shrug off noise as something thats just not going to play a role in picture quality. Sure a program can brush over and smooth away noise, but the problem is the detail is lost. The image becomes softer.

what's a professional port?

The E-30 is well constructed. The E-3 might be even better, but you pay with additional weight. Same with the viewfinder. I don't need both, and you won't see the viewfinder nor the construction quality on the taken shot.

About the noise: Yes, you loose details by removing noise, but blown out highlights have no details at all and can't be recovered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:29 pm 
LJohnK wrote:

As for the banding issue on the E3, it is not a "red herring"...its well documented and acknowledged by Olympus...it occurs on the E4/510, E4/520 and E3.

Poor choice of words. Perhaps not a red herring, but I think it's blown out of proportion by some given that most people can't see it unless they are looking for it. I didn't even know about the banding issues until someone pointed it out to me.

However, the noise on the E620 jumps out as soon as you hit ISO200 especially in the shadows, which is unfortunate for a newer sensor. I am not sure if the same thing happens or not on the E30. Obviously, I am pixel peeping and if I keep the images of the E620 at 1024x768, I won't see any noise until ISO1600. But alas, I am a pixel peeper. That being said, I have been able to clean up the noise and still keep a decent amount of detail. It's just more work though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:13 am 
Armanius wrote:
LJohnK wrote:

As for the banding issue on the E3, it is not a "red herring"...its well documented and acknowledged by Olympus...it occurs on the E4/510, E4/520 and E3.

However, the noise on the E620 jumps out as soon as you hit ISO200 especially in the shadows, which is unfortunate for a newer sensor. I am not sure if the same thing happens or not on the E30.

Yes, it happens with the E-30 too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:32 pm 
Yes I agree that Noise is present on the E30 in shadows at ISO 200, albeit it really does not seem any worse than my E520, if you account for the fact that you have more resolution.

I initially condidered the E30 as a replacement to my E510 and ebayed it shortly after aquiring the E30......however, I must confess even with banding I do prefer the E510 performance in low light to that of the E520 and E30.

So.....I have again purchaed an E510 and although the HL DR of the E30 kills the E510.....at dusk and for portraits the E510 rules IMHO.

Hat Eaten ! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:31 pm 
LJohnK wrote:
Yes I agree that Noise is present on the E30 in shadows at ISO 200, albeit it really does not seem any worse than my E520, if you account for the fact that you have more resolution.

I initially condidered the E30 as a replacement to my E510 and ebayed it shortly after aquiring the E30......however, I must confess even with banding I do prefer the E510 performance in low light to that of the E520 and E30.

So.....I have again purchaed an E510 and although the HL DR of the E30 kills the E510.....at dusk and for portraits the E510 rules IMHO.

Hat Eaten ! :roll:

That was another thing I noticed... The E-510 had less noise than the E-520, which surprised the hell out of me. Softer AND noisier image... It seems that Olympus has been downgrading over time. Another reason why I always suggested getting the 510 over the 520 and saving a ton of money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:22 pm 
You get better results if you switch the graduation from auto to normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:41 am 
Hi PrinzMegahertz:

Thanks for the tip...I agree, I seldom use auto.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:31 am 
LJohnK wrote:
The only thing I would add for your consideration is that the banding on the pre E30's does not typically manifest unless you are shooting something in relaitve dark at higher ISO....the other thing is despite the improvements in the E30, the E3 IMHO still has much nicer color rendering when it comes to skin tones....less reddy.

Heres some E510 banding:

E510 1600

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_vpwwLh2ATzI/Sdq3X ... 938_om.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_vpwwLh2ATzI/Sdq3Z ... 293939.JPG

Cheers :D

Sorry but what is banding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:49 am 
cherryw wrote:

Sorry but what is banding?

Well, its when your photo develops horizontal banding pattern across it from noise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:10 am 
Thanks Atomic,

I can see it now.

Post subject: E-30
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:07 pm 
Well, after a long and difficult decision, I finally opted for the E-30! This is the first photo I made with it:

Again, thanks for all of Your help!