Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:12 pm 
I've been enjoying my time scouring these boards for information to help me purchase my first DSLR. All of the useful posts on these forums have helped me all but pull the trigger on the E520. This is mostly a financially based decision but i think it would suit my needs quite nicely. My dilemma is that I've read countless times that before purchasing a camera you need to make sure it "feels right" in your hands. (I also have a great deal of worry about the "tunnel like" viewfinder)

This makes perfect sense and I'd love to test out the ergonomics of the E520 but nobody stocks it near where I live. I live in the suburbs of Seattle, WA and every store (camera shops or electronics store) seems to giggle with sarcasm when I ask them if they stock Olympus DSLR's. One rep from Tall's camera said snobbishly, "nobody stocks those, heh. We never will." I would even drive a hour if I could even test out the 4xx or 620 for similarities sake.

I suppose my question is for any who live around here, got any idea for stores that might stock Evolt series cameras that I may have over looked? Or do any non-locals have any advice on buying blind and hoping for the best? Is the viewfinder going to pleasantly surprise me, or live up to it's unusable reputation I've seen on some other boards?

I have no problem buying online - in fact I prefer it, i just want a chance to test out this viewfinder and grip.

Thank you in advance,

Micah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:24 am 

It's funny. Plenty of E-520s across the Atlantic. One would think Olympus is overstocked.

P.S. I wouldn't buy a camera body blind myself. Narrow your search to cameras already available in your area. If it means skipping Olympus then so be it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:49 am 
Site Admin

Hi Micah, welcome on-board!

Are there any camera clubs nearby where a member might have one you could try?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:37 am 
no stores in your area eh? that sucks...do you have any experience with film or digital slrs? i don't think the viewfinder of the e-520 is THAT bad. if you don't wear glasses, the e-520 with the ME-1 is a great combo. i never take the me-1 off my e-520 when i use it.

i would suggest buying the e-520 or e-510 as both a great cameras. a member of this forum, atomic, is selling his e-510. i'm not sure how much he wants for it though. maybe you should message him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:19 am 
Really? Every camera store around here has at least one E series camera, generally way overpriced though.

idavis wrote:
i would suggest buying the e-520 or e-510 as both a great cameras. a member of this forum, atomic, is selling his e-510. i'm not sure how much he wants for it though. maybe you should message him.

Yes I am selling, but by the forum rules, I am not allowed to solicit it on this site. If you are interested Micah, feel free to email me at hprelude93[at]gmail.com

I havent put it up for sale yet, but I will be posting an ad for it on craigslist sometime this week. I will post it for $300 but will probably let it go for $250. Thats without a lens. Whoever buys it then could probably pick up a 14-42, or 14-45 for under $100 on eBay or Keh.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:15 pm 

Atomic wrote:
Really? Every camera store around here has at least one E series camera, generally way overpriced though.

idavis wrote:

Yes I am selling, but by the forum rules, I am not allowed to solicit it on this site. If you are interested Micah, feel free to email me at hprelude93[at]gmail.com

I havent put it up for sale yet, but I will be posting an ad for it on craigslist sometime this week. I will post it for $300 but will probably let it go for $250. Thats without a lens. Whoever buys it then could probably pick up a 14-42, or 14-45 for under $100 on eBay or Keh.com

I thought the 520s view finder had been correct, so it doesn't fell tunnel-like?

I'm wearing glasses... will have to see about that then...

To come:
Tripod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:22 pm 
Thanks for all the advice. I hadn't thought to check out the local camera clubs - I will have to do that.

Atomic, I don't think I'll be interested as I'm a big fan of warranties and i can't get a sqauretrade warranty on a none ebay/retail product. May have to change my mind though....

Anyone else's opinion on the e520 viewfinder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:29 pm 
The E-510 and the E-520 have the same viewfinder as far as I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:16 am 
MicahP wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I hadn't thought to check out the local camera clubs - I will have to do that.
Atomic, I don't think I'll be interested as I'm a big fan of warranties and i can't get a sqauretrade warranty on a none ebay/retail product. May have to change my mind though....

Anyone else's opinion on the e520 viewfinder?

Hi MicahP:

Can't believe no place in your City has one ?....as Gordon Laing noted in an earlier post... do look at the retailers that support this site if you buy on line...they are dealers and you will get full Oly warranty.

I wear glasses and I also own and love my E520....if the viewfinder is all thats "scaring you off" so to speak, I recently bought an E30 and I have also owned a Sony DSLR and allthough these viewfinders are better, its by no means a dealbreaker.

Cheers :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:46 am 
How I'd put it: If you have no previous slr experience and have nothing to compare this viewfinder too, you shouldn't have any issues. If you're used to the viewfinder of say, a Nikon D90, then you'd have an issue.

When I first went in search for a camera, I looked through the viewfinder of the canon xti & the nikon d80, both were great, but I didn't really find anything wrong at all with the viewfinder of the e-520. When I looked at all the features the e-520 offered, I decided to go the route of Olympus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:01 am 
So the viewfinder isn't so bad? I suppose i need to clarify, this is my first DSLR. I've used a nikon n60 film SLR extensively and spent a lot of time behind other peoples DSLRs. Even still I have a feeling you're correct idavis, I'm pretty sure i'll be able to get used to it - I still have 20/20 vision for the time being.

Oh and If you haven't seen my other post, i did finally find one store in my area that had a e500 after many, many phone calls.

thanks all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:19 am 
After being accustomed to a film Camera's viewfinder, you will find most dSLR's viewfinders to be small. You will get used to it. Its smaller than the rest but definately workable. Most the people here have been using said small viewfinder for years and have had great results.