Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Preview IS on E-620
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:38 am 
In the video tour of the olympus e-510, there was an preview on the live view screen of the image stabilization.

the IS button must be pressed and hold, then you could see the image stabilization working.

I have an E-620, but this button doesn't work.
Does anybody know how to do this on the E-620

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:33 pm 
The preview IS while on live view is not available on the E620.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:04 pm 
Thanks,

Is it possible that in a later firmware this function wil be added?

I want to see that the IS works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:10 pm 
E-620 does NOT have new firmware updates at today.

I check Firmware updates
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_secti ... 1452&fl=15

Click E-620 software downloads
then

Click button of blue hyperlink
then next page said this

Downloads Available:
No software is available at this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:47 pm 
dutchronnie wrote:
Thanks,

Is it possible that in a later firmware this function wil be added?

I want to see that the IS works.

I have no idea if this feature can be added through a software upgrade. Although I am no engineer, if I had to guess, there probably needs to be some sort of physical interface between the IS mechanism and the LCD view through live view. So IF I really had to guess, I'd say that it is not possible to add the feature through a firmware upgrade.

Are you having doubts about whether or not the IS is actually making a difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi dutchronnie, good spot!

One of the first things I tried when I got hold of the E-620 a few weeks back was pressing and holding the IS button in Live View and I was disappointed not to see it give a preview of the stabilisation.

I've asked Olympus why, but they've not replied yet. I suspect it may have something to do with power consumption or over-heating. The system is after all, only designed to come on during the exposure alone, and was never designed to give a preview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:39 pm 

Is the pano mode also gone in the E-620?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:17 pm 
Quote:
One of the first things I tried when I got hold of the E-620 a few weeks back was pressing and holding the IS button in Live View and I was disappointed not to see it give a preview of the stabilisation.

I've asked Olympus why, but they've not replied yet. I suspect it may have something to do with power consumption or over-heating. The system is after all, only designed to come on during the exposure alone, and was never designed to give a preview.

I like a preview option, because then i know the IS is working, now i think it works, but i am not sure.
Over-heating?
It is just a little moment when you use the preview function

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 pm 
Masked Avenger wrote:

No, It is stilling to have panorama mode.

Option
Art Filters / Scene Modes

Function
Art filters include: pop art, soft focus, pale & light color, light tone, grainy film, and pin hole.

Scene modes include children, high key, low key, digital image stabilization, nature macro, candle, sunset, documents, panorama, fireworks, beach & snow, underwater wide, underwater macro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:44 pm 
I check Olympus E- 620 has Image stabilization = 4 stop.

I never know that IS has 4 stop. What is it means and doing?

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e620-review/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:12 pm 
Masked Avenger wrote:

If you are referring to the IS modes, you can have the IS work on vertical axis only, horizontal axis only, or both.

If I remember correctly, in the 410/420/510/520, the IS was either for both axis or horizontal only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:16 pm 
lynn55 wrote:
I check Olympus E- 620 has Image stabilization = 4 stop.

I never know that IS has 4 stop. What is it means and doing?

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e620-review/

It's my noobie understanding (and I could be totally wrong) that 4 stops means that you can use a shutter speed 4 stops slower than you typically would have had to use in order to get a blurr-free image at a given focal length/apperture setting/lighting condition.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime-in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Armanius is correct, but remember a stop of shutter speed involves halving it each time.

So let's say the slowest shutter speed you could normally handhold without shake was 1/100.

One stop of compensation would allow you to handhold at 1/50. Two stops at 1/25, three stops at 1/13 and four stops at 1/6. Do remember though while stabilisation can eliminate camera shake, it won't let you freeze a subject in motion. So if you are using these slow shutter speeds, anything that moves in the shot will blur; this can sometimes look quite nice though.

I should however note that in my tests of the E-620 for my forthcoming review, I found it only personally gave me 2-2.5 stops of compensation, whereas the Canon and Nikon kit lenses with stabilisation consistently gave me 3 to 4 stops. This was the same experience I had with the E-520.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:07 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:

I should however note that in my tests of the E-620 for my forthcoming review, I found it only personally gave me 2-2.5 stops of compensation, whereas the Canon and Nikon kit lenses with stabilisation consistently gave me 3 to 4 stops. This was the same experience I had with the E-520.

Hi Gordon! Thanks for chiming in. What about the E-3? Did you personally get 5 stops as Oly claims?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:21 am 
:D Hi Gordon and Armanius, Thank you for your good replies,

I understand you explained.

Do Olympus E-3 and E-30's Image stabilization with 5 stops were better than Olympus E-620, E-520 and other E-numbers ??

I will might to buy Olympus E-620 on next fall or Olympus E-3 was worth right.

I found Olympus E-620's good information news in http://www.dphotojournal.com/
Click here : Olympus E-620 wins Best Digital SRL Entry Level XIX TIPA Awards 2009

:cry: Olympus E-3 did not win an Award.