Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: First DSLR E-420
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:29 am 
hi there
ive just purchased a E-420 twin lens kit and am waiting on its arrival with allot of anticipation, the reason i am posting is to give some strength to other people in what was my positions one week ago.
im a student with a small budget and was looking to buy my first dslr after using slr's and a point and shoots.

After loosing my point and shoot to a long exposure beach accident, i said to my self " i want a DSLR ".

So i went on my marathon review hunt and kept falling towards the Olympus e-410/420 , why ? mainly because of price, features and you can expose for a half hour, i thought this would be fun.

Now all i want to say to people that are in my position and are getting scared of by the fact that there is no IS on this model is, this camera is a bargain buy and in a year or so when you have more experience sell the body and upgrade to a body with IS, that's if you still feel you need it.

The way i see it is, if you can start taking nice pics without IS think how much better you will take pics with IS.

So dont be scared of by the fact a camera doesn't have IS think how much better you will become because of the fact it doesn't.

when i get my E-420 ill let you know how it goes, im not very good with picture taking so ill be asking alot of questions and hoping for some feedback and advice.

thankyou all for your time and power to the people without IS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:17 am 
Congrats on the purchase...

but you seem to think theres some sort of rift between people with IS bodies and people without them... I can assure you this is not the case. 4/3 users with IS bodies don't look down on you if you have a 400 series, or an older model :lol:

Anyhow, goodluck with the camera, if you're ever thinking that you could use an IS body, scout your local craigslist, or eBay. Olympus bodies in my experience have been very reliable and generally second hand very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:28 am 
Congrats on the purchase!! I still use my 410 a lot, even though I own the 510 and owned the 620 twice. The 410 actually takes better high ISO photos than the 620, and photos from the 410 are much sharper too. I've had better results with low light photography with the 410 over the 620 too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:24 am 
Hey Nik:

Sure you'll love the E420. When I first moved from E510 to E420, I also had some problems with low light shooting, as noted by Armanius. The shadow noise of the E510 is not as pronounced, I think because of a difference in the JPEG tone curves and much more pleasing in my opinion. Again though, 2 seconds of post processing with the E520 and it’s virtually the same. Here's a sampel:

E510; ISO 800:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-y ... directlink

E520 default WB:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ul ... directlink

E520, WB Corrected PP:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wM ... directlink

Cheers :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:53 am 
While the E-420 is a great camera, maybe you should wait with giving recommendations on how to buy the right camera until after you have yours and can really speak out of experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:28 am 
PrinzMegahertz wrote:
While the E-420 is a great camera, maybe you should wait with giving recommendations on how to buy the right camera until after you have yours and can really speak out of experience.

Why is there always one of you on every forum???......Well Mr. Prinz...to educate you....the E510/410 & E520/420 are virtually the same, the chief differences being image stabilization and a few "nice to have" operational features....the image components (i.e. sensor, microlenses, etc.) are the same...and in fact, if you turn off the IS on the 510/520 say like when its on a tripod....its the 410/420...simple isn't it .

So you see I do feel quite comfotable speaking to the IQ of the E420.....Thank you for yor concern as to my comfort though :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:44 pm 
[quote="LJohnK"]Hey Nik:
Sure you'll love the E420. When I first moved from E510 to E420, I also had .......]

Hey Nik:

Just to be technically correct my post should have said....
"When I first moved from E510 to E520"....but I assume you probably understood that....some obviously didn't.

Cheers: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:48 am 
wow thanks for the reply's guys, after reading a few posts i can see i did come of a little preachy sorry.
Still waiting for my E-420 its in back order owe well, ill go out and shoot with the SLR for now, dont know if i should say this but its a NIKON N75 lol I also got a nice old FUJICA STX1-n, such a nice camera to hold and manually set up im sure a few of you know what i mean.
I bought the FUJICA on ebay for $50 Australian and the NIKON i took of my sister since she doesn't use it, the OLYMPUS is my first DSLR and my first major investment.
By the way thanks so much for the comparison pics and advice so fare im sure ill need alot more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 am 

Nik wrote:
wow thanks for the reply's guys, after reading a few posts i can see i did come of a little preachy sorry.
Still waiting for my E-420 its in back order owe well, ill go out and shoot with the SLR for now, dont know if i should say this but its a NIKON N75 lol I also got a nice old FUJICA STX1-n, such a nice camera to hold and manually set up im sure a few of you know what i mean.
I bought the FUJICA on ebay for $50 Australian and the NIKON i took of my sister since she doesn't use it, the OLYMPUS is my first DSLR and my first major investment.
By the way thanks so much for the comparison pics and advice so fare im sure ill need alot more.

Congratz on your purchase :) I'm getting the 520 double kit this week myself :)