Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:35 pm 

... if they don't have better retailer presence, particularly lenses.

I live in a part of the world where camera stores are still plentiful (I hear things are bleak in the States) and while finding Olympous cameras is fairly easy, lenses are another matter.

For example, I hear great things about the 9-18mm lens, but it is nowhere to be found. Even going online at a place like amazon.co.uk, and there's only a meager selection of Zukio lenses and, of course, no 9-18mm lens in sight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:37 pm 
Ive never bought any of my camera parts in a B&M store. Always online. Check eBay stores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:38 pm 
this took me less than a minute, ships to UK
http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-E-9-18-4.0- ... dZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:29 pm 

Ebay is not exactly retailer presence. :)

In any case, Olympus' competitors are better at getting their products out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:28 pm 
i would like to see more olympus presence in stores near my home so i can test out items, but i have no issues with buying from online.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:48 am 
[quote="Masked Avenger"]... I live in a part of the world where camera stores are still plentiful (I hear things are bleak in the States) and while finding Olympous cameras is fairly easy, lenses are another matter.

Hi Masked Avenger:

I also never buy bodies online, it s worth the overhead to be able to go into the local store with a card and click off a few on a demonstrator and if you end up not liking it, having the flexibility to exchange, etc.

Lenses though are another story and I wouldn't be so hesitant to buy used or online.

Most local retail outlets of even bigger chains don't stock every lens and demonstrators are often limited to very common kit lenses......so they have to order it in for you from thier warehouse....I have bought a number of used items here in Canada from Henry's online and I like this because you have the option of buying a warranty for a reasonable price on most used items, so your not stuck with a $500 anchor if something goes wrong in three weeks.

They are not always the most inexpensive, but the service is good.
Can't believe you don't have an equivilent store and online dealer in the UK ???

Regards; :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:39 am 
Masked Avenger wrote:
Ebay is not exactly retailer presence. :)

In any case, Olympus' competitors are better at getting their products out there.

the link I posted to is to an auction from tri-state camera, a reputable retailer from New York.
http://www.tristatecamera.com/

Their eBay price happens to be cheaper than their instore price. Probably because the eBay handler wasn't informed of a price change, or they want to undercut the internet competition online, but sell at a higher price for the people who walk in the store and have easy access to the competition's prices.

Either way, their eBay auction seems to be the cheapest way to buy the lens new. You will probably save a TON of money buying it this way, especially considering camera equipment costs more in the UK from what I understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

PS - guys, if you're buying anything online, please do also check the prices at our affiliate stores and if they're ok for you, buy through the links on the page below! This is what pays for the site...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Affil ... ping.shtml

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:18 pm 
Gordon:

I noticed one of the sponsors listed (I won't name them here) has gone into bankrupcy in the USA ??? Is the link to a different international division ?

Thanks;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

If you're referring to Ritz, I believe the website is still running for sales as before - it's the physical stores that had the major problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:57 am 
Thank you for clarifying the difference....the last thing Oly users need are less vendors !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:20 am 

Maybe I'm lucky, but there are 2 stores near Rotterdam which have most lenses in stock most of the time. No affiliate stores over here btw and the ones I checked in France and Germany are all more expensive.