Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Olympus interview
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:21 am 
Have you guys read olympus interview in dpreview?

there are many things there, including:

1. Is Olympus focus on micro four thirds or four thirds?
Answer: They said many of development in four thirds will be used in micro four thirds and vice versa. so basically, Oly's users don't have to worry about Oly directing most of the resource to micro four thirds but abandoning four thirds.
fact: Release of E-620 which has better sensor (at least we can see iso sample is very good plus IS is small body is a positive.

Olympus going Full Frame? to attract most professional user?
Answer: No, no direction to that at all. They are focusing on four third instead.
Furthermore, Oly executives do not plan to go to compete in professionals market.

Megapixel wars
Olympus does not interested in megapixel wars especially over 20 megapixels like other full frame formats. Instead, Oly with Panasonic more interested in working on improving image quality and high iso noise handling in small sensor. According to them, theoritically, there is no limit of improvement.

Furthermore, they believe consumers in 2010 and beyond won't consider megapixels significant buying factor anymore, but image quality and other features.

About business in general
Sales are good until last year (2008) October and then start to decline sharply.

About E-30 is overpriced
They understand that, and will do something (but what?) maybe bundle or decreasing price? For users that interested in E-30 maybe it is wise to hold back a bit or go for E-3.

What do you guys think?

I feel it is quite interesting especially about megapixel vs image quality wars, focusing in consumer instead of professionals demand and stuff.

btw probablly i miss something, so if you find other stuff worth discussing just post here. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:00 am 
I just want them to lower the prices to at least what they were before!!

Not putting all the R&D on M4/3 is reassuring.

If Oly could somehow make the high ISO performance on par with the likes of a 450D or even 40D, I'd be thrilled.

I totally agree that megapixels are overrated. But then, I am just a noob. I'm sure different people have different needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:45 am 
I definitly would wish that Olympus increases the sensor's quality. None of my pictures has ever failed because I did not have enough megapixels...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:05 pm 
Dont underrate MP. They are not that much useful when taking controlled composition and such, but when you take a concert picture or something where you do not have full control over situation, then more MP means more cropping withe acceptable results.
Thats the most significant advantage of more MP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:36 am 
darkesha wrote:
Dont underrate MP. They are not that much useful when taking controlled composition and such, but when you take a concert picture or something where you do not have full control over situation, then more MP means more cropping withe acceptable results.

however when you increase MP without improving the actual image quality, you still cant crop it any more than you could before. IMO the E30's and E620s 12MP is no advantage over the older 10MP sensor. In fact, I think its worse at ISOs 800 and above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:09 pm 
darkesha wrote:

That's smart. But the biggest megapixel market advantage is not about croppability for smart users, but to fool the new buyers about higher numbers in spec list. They are selling what people don't need and for some conservative buyers will buy that.