Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:53 pm 
Atomic, are you in a campaign mode against the 12 MP sensor? ;)

Speaking of which, I think you were interested in getting a ZD 50-200 at one point in time, but started leaning for the Sigma 70-200, because of the price. I believe some Canadian vendor still has the non-SWD version, which comes out to be about $780 with the exchange rate from Canadian Dollars to US Dollars. I think the vendor is either Henry's or McBain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:25 am 
nonSWD 50-200 works very well. Bit slow racking trough the entire focus range, especially at 200mm, but that is no issue most of the time.

The siggy does look tempting, if not only for the all through f/2.8 range. But I did find it a tad soft when I tried it on a mate's D300, and any recent 4/3 sensor has a higher pixel density than the D300.

But.. it is f/2.8 all the way..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:51 am 
Armanius wrote:

Im not in a campaign against it, I just compared the results back to back and was shocked that the newer cameras have so much more noise than the older ones. The E510 for instance actually has LESS noise than the E30! And of course the E3 looks like a million bucks compared to the new ones.

Oddly enough, the E520 has a significant amount more noise than the 510 as well, at least at 1600. Very curious.

nomix wrote:
The siggy does look tempting, if not only for the all through f/2.8 range. But I did find it a tad soft when I tried it on a mate's D300, and any recent 4/3 sensor has a higher pixel density than the D300.

But.. it is f/2.8 all the way..

Yea, I think ill go with the Sig. I'd rather have a slightly softer picture than a blurred picture. Unless I'm shooting something at a telephoto, I want as fast a shutter as I can get usually. Unless I'm tracking something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:50 am 
donalone wrote:
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi guys, I think we have a great Olympus community here, but please do try and bring in new Olympus owners if you know any who'd like it here!

PS - donalone, I'm sorry you're finding the forum interface horrible! There's not a great deal I can do about it though, as it uses off-the-shelf phpbb software. All forums which use phpbb look and work like this...

Hi Gordon,

I was actually saying that CameraLabs' interface is much better than the "dark site" (DPR). No worry about the website interface for CameraLabs.

Yes, there are not many Olympus people here. I always recommend people I meet in Flickr to check out CameraLabs.com. I found this place because I was attracted to your reviews about 450D and E520 when I was looking for my first dSLR. Unfortunately there is no new reviews for Olympus new dSLRs although Olympus has launched or announced 3 new dSLRs this year.

If I am a new buyer for Olympus I will be disappointed to see there's no new reviews for E30 and E620. At least for E620 since it is so important for Olympus this year as a feature-packed entry-level dSLR.

We all know that Gordon is very busy with reviews. I love this website and check out the forum everyday. Hope my suggestions will hlep.
:)

Cameralabs is definitely a great resource for us. I also post on the photographyreview.com Olympus forums [http://forums.photographyreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56] but I prefer Cameralabs. However those forums have also been really great IMO, and one of the writers on their seems to prefer Olympus, so thats a plus for 4/3 users. They have an awful site interface though. I think I prefer those other guys' interface to PR.com! Cameralabs still is the tops when it comes to well put together information. Good work Gordon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:13 am 
Armanius wrote:

Speaking of which, I think you were interested in getting a ZD 50-200 at one point in time, but started leaning for the Sigma 70-200, because of the price. I believe some Canadian vendor still has the non-SWD version, which comes out to be about $780 with the exchange rate from Canadian Dollars to US Dollars. I think the vendor is either Henry's or McBain.

i just bought the non-swd 50-200mm from cameta camera for $626 after shipping. great lens! a lot of people on another board said even with IS turned on they get blurry shots @ 1/30 or less, but i have yet to experience that. i'm going camping in the summer so i think i may get the e-3 sometime in june to complete the weather sealed set. a lot of people also stated that the 50-200 is a very hefty lens, another thing i disagree with. with the battery grip attached, the 12-60 and 50-200 provide the perfect balance for the 510/520.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:16 am 
Wow Ian, that's a bargain! Was it through E-bay? Was it through an auction or "buy it now"? New, demo, used? I might get one if I can still get it for that price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:21 am 
Armanius wrote:
Wow Ian, that's a bargain! Was it through E-bay? Was it through an auction or "buy it now"? New, demo, used? I might get one if I can still get it for that price.

Indeed. Thats even cheaper than the Sigma.

hmm

pros:
$75 cheaper
sharper
weather seal

cons:
F/3.5@200
no SWD/HSM

which is the better way to go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:59 am 
i got the lens through an ebay auction. i was surprised that i won it, as i had lost a couple bids earlier in the week.

make no mistake, the non-swd version of the lens is still a fast focusing lens and will definitely benefit from the e-3's focusing system, if/when you get your e-3 that is. my e-520 definitely focuses quick with this lens. i would personally say get the non-swd version of the 50-200 if you can find it at a great price. you never know when the weather seal may come in handy when you get your e-3 or e-3 successor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:38 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi guys, I think we have a great Olympus community here, but please do try and bring in new Olympus owners if you know any who'd like it here!

I don't know many Olympus owners, but I sent 2 of my colleagues looking for a new camera to this site. One of them bought a Nikon though, the other one is still looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:58 pm 
Atomic wrote:
which is the better way to go?

The ZD 50-200 is also slightly smaller and lighter than the Siggy 70-200. I'm bidding for one on E-bay right now ... let's see if I get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:16 am 
i think i'm pretty much decided on getting the e-3. i don't care much about the new 12mp sensor as i can upsize a picture in software such as genuine fractals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:18 pm 
Rats ... I was bidding on a non-SWD 50-200. Price got jacked up to $660 + $16 in shipping already. I am giving up on that one ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:03 am 
Armanius wrote:
Rats ... I was bidding on a non-SWD 50-200. Price got jacked up to $660 + $16 in shipping already. I am giving up on that one ...

learn to snipe. Never bid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:58 am 
Snipe?? Meaning ... coming in at the end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:10 pm 
Atomic-

For your edification, here's an article on E30 v. E3 noise comparison by the Wrotniak:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-e30-noise.html

You probably already read that. But if you haven't, it's pretty informative.