Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:27 pm 
Enche Zein wrote:
get E-3 Atomic, especially if you value toughness and handling rather than compactness. I believe the E-3 iso is better too, or at least the same.

I also heard that with ur 12-60mm lens the AF will be the fastest on the world

Im leaning that way because I want the more robust body, weather sealing, higher pop up flash [even though I have an external flash] and the second control dial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:16 pm 
I thought the E-3 had no dials at all.

It does look heavy. But I suppose I need the exercise! Well, no body upgrades for me for at least a year given that I just got the E-410 and 510 in the last 3 months! I know I'll be tempted, but I shall resist ... I'll focus (or try to) on adding to the lens repertoire first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:27 pm 
it will be fine because it balance out with your lens, so your grip will be steadier.

the 12-60mm itself is 575g which is heavier than E-520

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:29 am 
Enche Zein wrote:
it will be fine because it balance out with your lens, so your grip will be steadier.

the 12-60mm itself is 575g which is heavier than E-520

Actually I find the 12-60 + E510 combination VERY comfortable to hold. Its when I add my beefy Metz42 on there that things start getting wonky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:17 pm 

These are still just first results, but for me the high iso seems good enough. At least a lot better then my E500. And even when the results seem the same as the E520 or E3, then because of the higher number of pixels, the result is actually better when reduced to the same size.

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:41 pm 
Atomic wrote:
donalone wrote:
Armanius wrote:
That other site which I will not link to (dpre...)

Dpre... Depression?

Sorry being off topic

he meant Dpreview, which is very unkind to competition and delete links to cameralabs if theyre posted on their forums.

Which means that the only proper thing is to link to the Dark side as often as possible.

Whatever one does, do not get tempted to join in poor judgement. Walk with your head high. One day, even dpreview will understand that it is a silly and poor idea to delete links to other sites.

In Norway, this has never been an issue, what-so-ever. And I'm glad it's that way. It really makes me grumpy.

/OT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:01 pm 
nomix wrote:
Atomic wrote:
donalone wrote:
Armanius wrote:
That other site which I will not link to (dpre...)

Dpre... Depression?

Sorry being off topic

he meant Dpreview, which is very unkind to competition and delete links to cameralabs if theyre posted on their forums.

Which means that the only proper thing is to link to the Dark side as often as possible.

Whatever one does, do not get tempted to join in poor judgement. Walk with your head high. One day, even dpreview will understand that it is a silly and poor idea to delete links to other sites.

In Norway, this has never been an issue, what-so-ever. And I'm glad it's that way. It really makes me grumpy.

/OT

I like Cameralabs better than DP. They also have good reviews but the interface of their forum is horrible. I can't stay there for 5 minutes.

Maybe we can say "you-know-where", just like people say "you-know-who" in Harry Porter .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:59 pm 
I prefer "the Dark Side", or just "DPR".

Their board is as user friendly and intuitive as a 5000+ piece puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:16 pm 
while i occasionally find something useful on that other forum, there are way too many users on there simply looking for something to complain about, not just with olympus, but with all the brands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:34 pm 
I generally only go to DPR when theres a show, like PMA. Sometimes I check their homepage to see whats new as well.

the only other forum I go to for Olympus is this
http://forums.photographyreview.com/for ... y.php?f=56
Its slightly slower than cameralabs though, and they dont have Gordon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:12 pm 
We need more people on the Oly forum here. Nice people though! Still value quality over quantity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:37 pm 
Here are some more studio samples on E-620 testing. 1600 looks pretty usable on these samples.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Olympus-E620-DSLR-11192

Very tempted ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:09 pm 
Armanius wrote:
Here are some more studio samples on E-620 testing. 1600 looks pretty usable on these samples.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Olympus-E620-DSLR-11192

Very tempted ...

That test isnt very convincing.

I find the test here gives a better idea of the noise.
http://reviews.photographyreview.com/bl ... pressions/

E620 1600ISO:
http://gallery.photographyreview.com/sh ... &mcats=518
E510 1600ISO
http://gallery.photographyreview.com/sh ... &mcats=518

you see? the 12MP sensor has MORE noise than the older 10mp sensor.

compare them to the E-3 and E-30 tests I linked to on the first page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys, I think we have a great Olympus community here, but please do try and bring in new Olympus owners if you know any who'd like it here!

PS - donalone, I'm sorry you're finding the forum interface horrible! There's not a great deal I can do about it though, as it uses off-the-shelf phpbb software. All forums which use phpbb look and work like this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:52 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi guys, I think we have a great Olympus community here, but please do try and bring in new Olympus owners if you know any who'd like it here!

PS - donalone, I'm sorry you're finding the forum interface horrible! There's not a great deal I can do about it though, as it uses off-the-shelf phpbb software. All forums which use phpbb look and work like this...

Hi Gordon,

I was actually saying that CameraLabs' interface is much better than the "dark site" (DPR). No worry about the website interface for CameraLabs.

Yes, there are not many Olympus people here. I always recommend people I meet in Flickr to check out CameraLabs.com. I found this place because I was attracted to your reviews about 450D and E520 when I was looking for my first dSLR. Unfortunately there is no new reviews for Olympus new dSLRs although Olympus has launched or announced 3 new dSLRs this year.

If I am a new buyer for Olympus I will be disappointed to see there's no new reviews for E30 and E620. At least for E620 since it is so important for Olympus this year as a feature-packed entry-level dSLR.

We all know that Gordon is very busy with reviews. I love this website and check out the forum everyday. Hope my suggestions will hlep.
:)