Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: E-400 Review
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:19 pm 
Thanks for the review. I think it's quite good.

I have one comment though: I recently purchased the Canon 400D and now I would like to know whether it performs better than the E-400 or not. Obviously, I did not purchase the kit lens but the cheap Tamron 17-50 lens which has an outstanding reputation. I think it's a little bit unfortunate that you did not compare both bodies equipped with real good lenses. I feel that the weak link in the chain is the Canon kit lens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi ___, there's only so many tests you can do or publish! The vast majority of people buying the E400 and 400D / XTi will do so with the kit lenses, so that's what we tested and compared in the main reviews.

We have published results with both bodies using other lenses though. The E400 review includes resolution results with the Leica 14-50mm and the 10 Mpixel group test has results with the 400D / XTi using the 50mm, and we also have a group test of Canon lenses with the 400D / XTi.

So you may have to open a couple of windows, but you should be able to do some more comparisons!

You're right though, the 400D /XTi's weak link is its kit lens.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:34 pm 
Three more questions:

Is it true that the E-400 has a vertical resolution advantage and a horizontal resolution disadvantage compared to APS-C cams and, if yes, does this matter if you try to compare the test photos?

If you make a shot with the 18mm 400D kit lens and with the 14mm E-400 kit lens: does the 400D picture show a wider horizon (i.e., is it automatically more wide-angle because of the APS-C format)?

Would it be possible, if you have sufficient time, to test the popular Tamron 17-50 lens?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:04 pm 

1. I would not bother about the small resolution differences hor vs vert of both sensors
2. Any lens on the E-400 is about 23% "longer" than on the Canon body. So a 14mm lens on the Oly bod makes pics with the same diagonal width as a 17mm lens on the Canon bod. So the kit lens on the Oly is just a little bit wider than the kit lens on the Canon.
3. I don't know about Gordons plans, but as Tamron is not the biggest third party lens manufacturer, chances are slim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:39 am 
Hi everyone!

I bought an E400 yesterday, with Sigma 18-50mm lens. It was a real bargain for this price. Now lets see the impressions of the first hours:

Pros:

- The build quality is very good, no sign of strange sounds from the body yet. The camera feels comfortable in my hands, but it took me some time get used to the 'gripless' design.
- The overall image quality is good, of course there is a bit more noise appearing in the pictures compared to other DSLRs, but it suits me just fine.
- The camera focuses very well in good light conditions, but under low light it gets a bit hesitant.
- When I'm reviewing my pictures on the LCD screen, it rotates the picture when I rotate the camera. Personally I found this a very useful feature. It's not a big thing, but it certainly makes work easier. By the way, speaking about the LCD screen: it is just perfect for me. Clear, bright and easy to use.
- Lot of information when reviewing pics.
- Oops, I almost forgot to mention, that battery life is excellent. I've already took around 250 shots (with lot of flash usage) and the battery level indicator has not moved a millimeter.

Cons:

- Upgrading from a Pana FZ30, there are two things I'm missing from the E400: these are the two function wheels.
- Another minus point is the USB cable cover, it is made of strong rubber which is good, but because of its strongness it is not so easy to connect the cable. With the cable connected, the cover reclines back and it is very stiff.(I wonder, when will it come off completely.)
- Last, but not least, I have to get some kind of protection for the LCD screen, because it stands out from the camera's back and gets dirty quite easily.

So, these were my first day impressions,I hope you liked it. If anyone has further questions please let me know about it and I'll try to answer according to my best knowledge. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Great review! Keep us updated with how you get on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:32 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Great review! Keep us updated with how you get on!

Thanks Gordon!
Your video tour/review definitely helped me a lot when I decided to buy the E400.