Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Olympus PRO LENS
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:23 pm 
Would I see a hugh improvment buy upgrading to the PRO LENS RANGE, I want a good super zoom lens so I was thinking of going for the next range up not the ABSOLUTE TOP END.

Would I see a dramatic quality increase?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

The only top pro lens I've tested from Olympus was the 7-14mm, but it was certainly extremely good - in fact one of the best lenses I've tested.

Is there any chance you have a quick go on one first in a shop? Perhaps firing a few images off outside?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:58 pm 
I really dont think so TBH, not very many HIGH END camera shops around thses parts....but I will try my luck thanks.

Any reviews coming up of other 4:3 lens Gordon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:03 pm 
Wonda Boy,
Where in Ireland are you? I know of 2 places you could try in Dublin that have the pro lenses for sale/on display. It'd be worth the trip to try them out at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:16 pm 
Conas ata tu, me auld mucker!

I am living in navan but I am from dublin, I rang the camera shop in blanchardstwon centre but they only do SIGMA lens and they were not that exspensive so I am thinking they are much the same as the ones I have.

What shops you know dude, do u have the OLY 510

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:27 pm 
Do they have Sigma lenses for Olympus in Blanch?
Interesting...

There are 2 places in the city centre that you can go to to check out Olympus lenses, Hall cameras on talbot street and Conn's cameras, they're just off Wicklow street and behind Brown Thomas.

I have the E-410, think I bought it on the day it first appeared in Dublin!

As for Sigma lenses, if you can afford the Olympus lenses I think you'll find they're top notch, particularly the medium and top quality lenses. They are expensive though, happy shopping!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:32 pm 
I am going to get a NIKKON D300 in the new year for deffo, so I dont know if I am going to buy lenses for the E510.

How do you rate the 410 mate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:46 am 
@Wonda Boy: you can check ZD 50-200 (only telephoto zoom in Pro (not Top Pro) line) performance against old (1:3.5-4.5) ZD 40-150 and Sigma 55-200 here and eventually, if your main priority is greater focal length, then you could wait for first reviews of ZD 70-300 - not Pro one and not as bright as 50-200 (SWD version soon, btw.), but knowing ZD it should be pretty nice, too.

Detailed comparison of almost all ZD lenses attached to E-510 can be found here (scroll down a bit, it's 3-part story). All shots as RAWs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:34 pm 
Nice Find,

How are you finding the E510, I am struggling to get the correct WB but apart from that its great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:16 pm 
I'm really liking this camera actually, I'm only beginning with the SLR thing and am nowhere near the limit of my camera yet! It's nice and small and discreet for some of the shots I like to take, street shots of people, so couldn't be happier.

Try out some of the pro lenses if you can, the camera you have is a good camera and can only improve with better lenses, and there's always the new pro Olympus coming soon too :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:35 pm 
@Wonda Boy: as long as you don't have mixed light sources in the game auto WB does it job pretty fine - although I don't really care when it misses, cause I prefer to use RAW and then either ACR 4.2 or RawTherapee 2.2 (2nd one is somewhat slower and not as comfortable to use, but can deliver a bit better results. And it's free (with optional donation, if you find it worthy)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:17 am 
Well if my bonus in the job goes the way I think it will I will be getting a D300 for sure. I will prolly kepp the 510 or trade in it thats an option. I wont lose too much coz I got it in the states and saved a right few $$$$$.