Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:18 pm 
Nikon had recently as of (August 3rd 2007) replaced their best-selling D50 Model with a D40, Nikon wants make a easier camera for beginners. Whats so good about the D40 or even the D40x, I think Nikon made a huge mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:56 pm 
The only complaint I have about the D40 is that its an "entry level camera" but because they removed the AF motor from the camera you can only use newer lenses that are not priced very entry level. That aside its a very easy camera to use and if you do decided to invest in say the 55-200mm VR (a best buy for the D40 when coupled withthe 18-55mm kit) or even the 18-200mm VR then you are set for lenses for awhile even if you upgrade to a sturdier more feature packed camera in the future, as long as its a Nikon your lenses will still be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:06 pm 
Brate wrote:
The only complaint I have about the D40 is that its an "entry level camera" but because they removed the AF motor from the camera you can only use newer lenses that are not priced very entry level. That aside its a very easy camera to use and if you do decided to invest in say the 55-200mm VR (a best buy for the D40 when coupled withthe 18-55mm kit) or even the 18-200mm VR then you are set for lenses for awhile even if you upgrade to a sturdier more feature packed camera in the future, as long as its a Nikon your lenses will still be good.

I think you mean that you can indeed use older lenses, but those won't auto-focus. :wink:

As for the 18-200 VR, there is a limitation on the D40, which I believe will not bother most users of that camera, and that's that the D40 does not, unlike the D80, have an "A/MA" switch (auto-focus with the possibility of manual override) on the body. So you can use the 18-200 VR with the D40 in either auto-focus mode or manual focus mode, but not in "auto-focus with manual override" mode.

The D40 is a nice "beginner level" / "entry level" camera. That's what it promises and that's what it delivers.

As a beginner, I can honestly say it fits my needs. I'm learning as I go and still haven't tried most part of the available settings.

Having said that, it's quite clear Nikon offers a different product for each market niche. It's really a question of getting the camera that can give you the results you expect and/or are able to get from it, given your skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:11 pm 
luis wrote:
I think you mean that you can indeed use older lenses, but those won't auto-focus. :wink:

Yes thats what I meant :wink:

Its not that bad as long as you have a decent manual focus ring to grip.

Post subject: Re: Nikon D50
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:32 am 
fearless leader wrote:
Nikon had recently as of (August 3rd 2007) replaced their best-selling D50 Model with a D40, Nikon wants make a easier camera for beginners. Whats so good about the D40 or even the D40x, I think Nikon made a huge mistake.

I guess they are now very happy they made this "mistake": http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200707190113.html 8)

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:23 pm 
I really wish they just upgrade the D50 to 8-megapixel sensor because nikon is the only brand that goes from 6.1 to 10 and still introduce the nikon D40. Nikon really needs to start think better don't you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:05 pm 
Like most companies, Nikon is purely thinking ahead for its own viability, they realised that a more affordable and novice focussed dslr was wanted by the public. They planed built and released the D40 and not long after, the D40x. It seems that the release around the world has been very inconsistent depending on market needs and existing stocks of older models. I don't think Nikon have made a mistake at all in the D40 range, it has proven to be a very marketable camera and that is their primary aim, to improve market share, the facts are that in creating a marketable camera, they also produced a very capable camera, it works extremely well in the hands of novices as well as in the hands of the more experienced dslr user. The lens issue is a thorny one, in creating a camera that will only support a fairly limited range of lenses ( so far) they upset some existing Nikon owners by the inability of their older lenses to auto focus on the new body, given time and the release of new lenses to suit I'm sure the initial disappointment of existing Nikon owners will subside. Nikon also served its own purposes very well by building the D40 as it did, they allowed themselves to enjoy a period of sales lead over the 3rd party manufacturers where they had the only available lenses for the camera.
In Australia at the moment there are many people holding off on a new camera purchase to replace their "ageing" D50 or D70, the D80 is a great camera but it is not favoured as a D50 or D70 replacement because it is priced to closely to the D200 and is seen as not offering enough advantages over the older models to update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

The choice of sensors is very much dictated by the companies which make and supply them. Sony produces the CCD sensors in most DSLRs, and it was the company which made the jump from 6 to 10 Mpixels. If they'd made an 8 Mpixel CCD for DSLRs, I'm sure Nikon would have considered fitting one in the D40. As it stood though, they only had the choice between 6 or 10 Mpixel sensors.

The main exceptions are Canon (which makes its own CMOS sensors for its DSLRs) and Matsushita which makes the sensors for current Four Thirds DSLRs. Matsushita (the parent company of Panasonic) also makes the sensors for Panasonic's compacts. Kodak also produces sensors.

Sony makes the CCDs for almost everyone's compacts, but a recent announcement from Canon implies it may produce the sensors for its forthcoming compacts. I'd also expect to see more CMOS sensors in the future on all typs of digital cameras...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:22 am 
luis wrote:
The D40 is a nice "beginner level" / "entry level" camera. That's what it promises and that's what it delivers.

As a beginner, I can honestly say it fits my needs. I'm learning as I go and still haven't tried most part of the available settings.

Having said that, it's quite clear Nikon offers a different product for each market niche. It's really a question of getting the camera that can give you the results you expect and/or are able to get from it, given your skills.

I totally agree, I come from a compact and the D40 is my first dSLR, I'm delighted with it, it is plain that there are cameras with more and better features from Nikon itself and from other brands as long as you need them and are willing to pay for them, but I think that the average fotographer won't miss any of this "extra" features in 9 out of 10 ocassions.

Many people see like a limitation the fact that the D40/D40X lacks internal focus motor. I don't see it that way for the D40 intended market, most D40 buyers like myself are newbies to dSLRs and we don't own older lenses, and the offer of AF-S lenses for general purpose shooting is, IMHO, quite adequate and improving every day. I think my D40 gives me a lot a place to grow as a photographer, I can always buy some better and expensiver glass that I'll be able to use later when, in time, I replace the D40 for a more advanced body. I think that Nikon managed to produce a newbie's dream when they created the D40/D40X. :mrgreen:

Besides, for what I see reading this forum, it seems that most people with better bodies than the D40 (D80s or D200s) use AF-S lenses most of the time.