Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:23 am 
Hello again, i had a 18-200mm nikon but due trashy circumstances, i don't any more SO, i think i have come up with an alternative solution,combo a 18-55mm and a 70-300mmVR. One thing,18-55mm, stock lens. First there are 2 different 18-55mm lenses, whats the difference? Second i know the build quality is much lower(most plastic + plastic lens mount), but how will this effect me? Will it break after a couple years or? Also the max ap. at the tele end of this lens is 5.6(18-70 is a full stop lower), how will that perform in lower light situations(indoors)? Im already guessing auto will have some difficulties but i don't have a problem w/ manual focusing. I have also considered the 18-70mm but that would take my system a bit out of my price range. I have read the review on CL but i need a bit more info on use in practice and experience with the lens, anyone?

ty lots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:44 pm 

The F5.6 is no prob. The 18-200mm has this at the long end and I can assure you, that everything works fine and dandy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:42 am 
The 18-55 II was announced as the new entry level kit lens when the D40 was introduced. On Nikon's site, the 2 versions seem to have the same optical design but slightly different exterior. The technical tests performed by photozone.de show that the new version has better overall resolution but very slightly worse CA. It could be sample variation, it could be something else....

I got f4 at 55 mm on the 55-200 VR :wink: (not to mention the VR...)

Darrin

P.S. The D40 has a focus assist lamp which helps with autofocus in low light...