Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help. Is this normal?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:22 am 
Hey.
I first noticed this when doing some night shots

Notice the bits of light in the sky?

Now here I did a test at home with the lights in my PC, which shows what I mean perfectly.

Is there something wrong with my camera, or do SLRs do this? :S

Thanks
-Antony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:30 am 
Site Admin

Hmmm, that looks to me like internal reflections either within the lens itself, or from light bounced back to the lens from the surface of the sensor. Maybe this is a limitation of the 18-135mm lens. Have you seen it with other lenses?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:34 am 
Last shot was with 50mm and I think first one was with 50mm as well. Ill take the same pic again with the 18-135mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:41 am 
Last shot was with 50mm and I think first one was with 50mm as well. Ill take the same pic again with the 18-135mm

18mmImage
135mmImage

P.S Just had another look with the 50mm, and I can see the reflection in the viewfinder as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:23 pm 

Hmmm, so either the 50mm has some serious internal reflections or the last lens on the inside is not coated well enough so that it reflects the light that bounces back from the sensor (a well-known prob with DSLRs).
You can test this by dismounting the 50mm and look at the back-lens critically: does it reflect more than the front-lens? Compare it to the back-lens of your 18-135mm. If the 50mm "shines" on the backside, that is the most probable problem and is not going away.
If the backsides of both lenses are comparable (coating-wise), the reflection should be internal. In that case stopping down might reduce the prob. But then, what is the charm of a fast F1.8 lens?!

Again, you can see that contrast is more important than noise in modern DSLRs. See my rant here and vote!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:32 pm 
Well its reflecting on both the lenses. I just realized, both these lenses have UV filters on them, could that be it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:39 pm 

Well if both have UV-filters of the same quality, that should not make the difference, but perhaps depending on the curvature of the front lens one lens is having more trouble with the additional reflective lens/air-surface than the other. If you want best contrast, just screw every filter off!

Last edited by Thomas on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:58 pm 
Yeah I completly forgot about them eh. I bought the camera off a guy, and was 2 weeks old. Forgot that he had them on :) Will perhaps try testing again without filters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:54 pm 

Bit late to the thread, sorry. I'd put money on it being the UV filter though. I'm sure something similar happened to me once while taking pictures of a refinery. and that was with film. Ah, those were the days...

On a lighter note, that shot of Auckland is most excellent. I honestly hope it is the filter, they're cheap. Relatively anyway.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:13 pm 
Yeah the sky tower shot was easy to photoshop out lol. Yeah I have nothing bright in class right now to test it lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:35 pm 

antman wrote:
I have nothing bright in class right now

So your occupation is teacher? Professor??
So you must be the famous Professor Manfred Antopoulos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:05 pm 
Just a student. I wish my name was that fancy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:02 am 
antman wrote:
I just realized, both these lenses have UV filters on them, could that be it?

Most likely.

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:59 am 
YES It was them! What a pain in the ass. Oh well, off they go :) lol

Thanks for the help guys.

-Antony