Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:48 am 
For the first time looking at a picture i had taken, i noticed a bright spot, and then i noticed it was on all of them, so i took a picture with the lens cap on and mapped out all the hot pixels. Right now i count 3 red, 3 green, 2 blue and one ?gray?.. In most pictures it's the light green ones i see but the red ones are noticeable as well. Scale map on the left, 100% crop collage on the right.

ImageImage

Is this more than normal? Should i have it replaced as its only 2 weeks old?
How many hot pixels do you have on your sensor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:41 am 
IIRC, 'hot' pixel does not equal 'dead' pixel. Hot pixels are expected in long exposures, high sensitivities, or both. Some cameras have software correction options for those (including, I believe, the D60) while others don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:08 pm 
I've got a couple. Doesn't really bother me mostly because I don't go looking for them hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:08 pm 
One Photography book I've read (Mastering Digital SLR Photography 2E [Paperback] By: David D. Busch (Author) says that "service centers" can reset those pixels, but that usually means boxing it up and mailing it back unless you have one locally. The other other option is as has been suggested by Hailstorm, use the software to "delete" them. I'm lucky I do not have any on my camera (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 am 
i've got two on my d90 and 3 on my d60.

both are pretty new..i'll wait til the warranty is about ready to expire before i bring it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:36 am 
I've got one on my D80 and I very rarely notice it(due to shooting conditions) so it's not a problem for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:10 pm 
I have 3 on my camera. They only appear when I do long exposure shots, so they're not a problem for me.

I first noticed them when I took a photo of Wigan at night. I thought one of them pixels was the North star, and then I realised it was in the wrong location :D